Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Earthing a two humbucker kit

Quote from adam on December 5, 2012, 17:21
    A Facebook question from our friend Nadiene in Ocean Grove (remember the cool, swirly LP-1?)

"Nadiene Dini: Any hints if the bridge posts have already been hammered in????"

I've actually pulled out my bridge posts, using the back of a claw hammer (and cardboard to protect the body), but it's not something I'd recommend, especially given Nadiene's kit's excellent finish.

Any other suggestions for earthing the LP-1 which has been fully assembled?

Hmmm. Good question...

The first work around that springs to mind is this.

Get a length of brass rod, say 4 millimetres diameter.
    With a long shanked 4mm drill bit, carefullly drill back from the control rout out to the post.
    Place a bead of solder on the end of the brass rod and gently tap it into the hole untill it hits the post.
    Solder a wire to the end of rod and then to tone pot.

If I come up with a better idea I will let you know.

Maybe dMac will have a better solution?

There is always a workaround for glitches, mistakes and other Guitar building gremlins.....

Quote from dingobass on December 5, 2012, 23:37
    Quote from adam on December 5, 2012, 17:21
    A Facebook question from our friend Nadiene in Ocean Grove (remember the cool, swirly LP-1?)

"Nadiene Dini: Any hints if the bridge posts have already been hammered in????"

I've actually pulled out my bridge posts, using the back of a claw hammer (and cardboard to protect the body), but it's not something I'd recommend, especially given Nadiene's kit's excellent finish.

Any other suggestions for earthing the LP-1 which has been fully assembled?

Hmmm. Good question...

The first work around that springs to mind is this.

Get a length of brass rod, say 4 millimetres diameter.
    With a long shanked 4mm drill bit, carefullly drill back from the control rout out to the post.
    Place a bead of solder on the end of the brass rod and gently tap it into the hole untill it hits the post.
    Solder a wire to the end of rod and then to tone pot.

If I come up with a better idea I will let you know.

Maybe dMac will have a better solution?
    Remember you have 3 bushings to choose from that are close to the control cavity or are close to wiring routs.

I prefer to screw a bolt into the bushing (with matching thread).

Put the guitar on a protective surface. Put some rag around the bolt. With a tool that lets you get a grip on the bolt, pull the bolt up at 180 degrees (to the bolt.)

You will find that if you are pulling straight up and not deforming the wood by pulling at an angle, it will come out surprisingly easily. You cannot use a lever action because you expend a lot of energy deforming the wood.

Works for me every time.

Drill hole, thread tinned wire to control cavity, replace all done.

Now to offload the damn truck...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3