Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Thread: Shielding

And possibly a few minor cuts to the fingers

There is always a workaround for glitches, mistakes and other Guitar building gremlins.....

Also found some cheap sheets (simplify pickguards).
    http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/300mm-x-2...item43bb3b9907

Will let you know how it goes.

For info, J-Car sell rolls of aluminum shielding tape in large rolls, sized from around 3/4" through to 2" wide. quite cheap. It will do exactly the same job as the copper shielding, the only real difference is it wont get the greenish corrosion blemish if polish etc gets on it.
    Projects:
    LP-1A
    TL1-A
    LP-1Completed
    TL-1Completed
    Yamaha rebuild: Completed
    Mako -Scratch designed: Completed
    PUP winder: Completed

Facebook : www.facebook.com/andrew.johns.1272010

Aluminium does work... sort of. The only problem with it is you cant easily spot solder the sheets together to ensure a good conductive path.
    It is great for under pick guards and the back of control cavity plates.

There is always a workaround for glitches, mistakes and other Guitar building gremlins.....

I have a large roll of this insulation tape. I checked with a multimeter and it has the same conductivity as copper shielding tape. That's if I checked it properly. I'm a complete noob when it comes to electrical.

It's the tape you would normally use when installing insulation. The reflective tin type mostly used in sheds a commercial buildings.

Is there any reason this tape wouldn't work for shielding cavity's. Other than the fact you can't spot solder it. It's a 2 1/2 in. wide roll so there wouldn't need to be many joins.

Mentor
    Being unable to solder it is not a major problem. You can always put a small screw through it and squash down the wire under its head. The only problem I can see is whether there will be continuity between the layers. Just check that the adhesive does not act as an insulator. If it does, then maybe you can screw each layer together at one point with a small screw too.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4