Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Shielding

Shielding paint can have its uses though... Sometimes you come across a really manky routing job on guitars that copper wont work on very well.. or a strange shaped cavity that is difficult to get tape into. These are the only times I use paint.

There is always a workaround for glitches, mistakes and other Guitar building gremlins.....

I should have added that sometimes when I run out of copper sheet, I use alfoil on the undersides of pick guards on Strats etc....
    A light application of spray adhesive and on it goes...
    Yes, it does work, just as long as you complete the circuit by having the cavity shielding touching the pickguard!

There is always a workaround for glitches, mistakes and other Guitar building gremlins.....

Quote from dingobass on November 4, 2012, 08:11
    I should have added that sometimes when I run out of copper sheet, I use alfoil on the undersides of pick guards on Strats etc....
    A light application of spray adhesive and on it goes...
    Yes, it does work, just as long as you complete the circuit by having the cavity shielding touching the pickguard!
    In an emergency (meaning it was a cheap guitar) I've used aluminium tape as used in aircon (?). Worked well enough (well enough meaning the customer didn't complain about noise.)

Never thought about using air con tape...
    Just goes to show that there is always another way!

I agree with dMac in that it is only ever used in an emergency, and when I get more copper in I like to replace the alfoil

ok guys, when im going to earth my bridge i figured i may as well do some shielding. im here to learn so what parts should i shield besides the pickup cavaties, should ialso shield the control cavatiy as well?

Quote from ncass81 on November 28, 2012, 19:18
    ok guys, when im going to earth my bridge i figured i may as well do some shielding. im here to learn so what parts should i shield besides the pickup cavaties, should ialso shield the control cavatiy as well?
    Hi Nick.
    The answer to your question is yes.
    Remember to also shield the cover as well and solder all of your joins. You only need a dab of solder here and there just to make sure that all of the pieces of tape are electrically connected.
    Also make sure that you overlap the tape onto the cut out where the cover plate sits.

Ok coll, what about the switch

Quote from ncass81 on November 29, 2012, 06:56
    If you can, go for it!

Sorry, double post.

Quote from ncass81 on November 29, 2012, 06:56
    The switch is already grounded as part of the pickup/volume/tone wiring. It doesn't have to be directly grounded (like it is in an LP), it just has to be in the circuit where there is ground (like in an ST).

You'll probably get more mileage if you want to be ultra-thorough by using shielded wire for long runs, especially if you are using high-output pickups. dingobass probably does it, and I do too. That would be for example to and from the switch and to the jack on an LP-style.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast