Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Got my first kit!

Hey!

So on Tuesday I received my first kit for my 16th birthday.
    I've been playing guitar for a long time now (here's a demonstration http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RVKG1...re=context-cha keep in mind that video is completely improvised and not at all put into a full sequence of parts unfortunately.)

I got the SV-1 kit I think it's called and with many years of guitar geekyness and obsession with the instrument in my life, I'm very glad to say that this kit has come with greater quality than I would have originally expected!

The inlay is beautiful to say the least, definitely not a print, the size is very suitable for the scale length and the quality of the wood is astounding! One thing that worried me was one of the fine tuners of the Floyd Rose had fallen off in the bag and I was worried that it had fallen off without noticing in the factory and I'd have to go out and buy a new set but fortunately it was just hiding in the bag!

I'll be giving it a white finish (boring I know but I'll try make it still appealing!)
    Can't wait to begin, and I hope I get a nice guitar of the month thing when I've finished!
    But I'll definitely be putting lots of time and effort into it so I don't think I'll be finished in a little while!

Thankyou Adam for this beautiful kit!

Quote from MitchellJBurgess on October 6, 2012, 20:21
    Can't wait to begin, and I hope I get a nice guitar of the month thing when I've finished!
    But I'll definitely be putting lots of time and effort into it so I don't think I'll be finished in a little while!

Thankyou Adam for this beautiful kit!
    Congratulations, Mitchell! You've got the right idea- apply lots of patience and care and you will have an outstanding axe.

Keep us posted on your progress, plenty of photos, and we're here to answer questions or offer suggestions if you need a hand!

Hey Mitchell, thanks for the post, glad you like your SV-1 kit. You're right, it's a great kit for the price.

Its good that you're not rushing into it too. Patience is the key. And I like your choice of white.

Looking forward to seeing how it turns out.

Cheers

Cheers,

Adam

adamboyle(at)pitbullguitars.com

I'll make sure to take plenty of progress photos!

One question I do have, what will I need to do to paint it white and get that nice mirror look, I watched some of the instructional videos, but your base coat is white, does that mean I can just do that and it'll be finished with on that side of thing? Or will I need to do other things to it as well?

Thankyou in advance!

Mitchell, I strongly suggest you do a lot of research before painting. A couple of guys on this forum will be able to help you too.

The simplest method is to use a white acrylic spray which you can get from auto stores. Plus you'll need a clear acrylic lacquer spray as well to do a clear protective coat.

The key to a good finish is sanding lightly between coats. Remember, lots of thin coats is better than a few heavy coats.

Check out YouTube and other sites for some tips on painting.
    Cheers,

Adam

adamboyle(at)pitbullguitars.com

Great choice for your first build Mitchell!
    So glad to see that you are going to take your time with the build. Taking it slowly will reward you with an axe that will be the envy of your peers.
    Just make sure that you do a mock up build before you paint, check your scale length and neck fit and then you wont get any surprizes when you have painted and go to do your final assembly.
    Read all the postings put up by Dmac as he knows what he is doing and don't hesitate to ask for advice, as Adam said the forum members are here to share years of knowledge and experience to help you.
    Good luck!

Dingobass.

There is always a workaround for glitches, mistakes and other Guitar building gremlins.....

Alrighty guys, today I did ALLOT of sanding, I mean, allot, hours and hours.
    And it's now 10 pm and I just finished doing the first layer, but it looks pretty patchy unfortunately, there's patches with not enough paint, patches with too much paint, and patches where paint is dripping, will I be able to fix all that up somehow?

Also, the back plate that covers the floating tremolo system from behind, there's no routing to accomodate for that, is that supposed to happen?
    Or has there been a mistake?

I also inhaled way too much paint... Oh well, my insides will look white and lovely now!

Hi Mitchell,
    Don't panic about the runs in your paint. Let it dry and sand them back. You will need to do 4-5 coats at least to get a good coverage with no "peep through" from the timber. Remember to mask the neck pocket and pup routs and remove after each coat is touch dry. Painting takes some practice but I am sure that by the time you have done the white base coats you will be proficient 8-)
    As far as I am aware, the back cover plate is not recessed, but I am sure that Adam will know for sure.
    Good luck,
    Dingobass

There is always a workaround for glitches, mistakes and other Guitar building gremlins.....

Alright, thanks Dingo!

Also, my can is quite a bit lighter since I bought it, can it really already be nearly out?
    Or is it just how spray paint works, gets more efficient when it gets lower, kinda like atomic power if you will. =P

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast