Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Got my first kit!

Quote from MitchellJBurgess on October 20, 2012, 07:14
    Hello again friends!

I've since finished doing the painting and it looks lovely. I don't want to blow my own horn but I think it has turned out nicely with that nice gloss.

But now I've come to a couple more problems, I went to put the neck in the pocket, just to make sure it fits to find out any problems I may have, and it doesn't fit! So I sanded it down a little, it fits now.
    Then I tried to see if the scratchplate would fit over... It didn't, so I fixed that up.
    Now it fits nicely!

But one problem I have now, I checked out the video Adam has on wiring the guitar, you have a purple wire, a blue wire and a grey wire.
    Well for some reason I have a grey wire, a white wire and a purple wire. So I'm quite confused of what to do about this!
    Sorry to hear you're having problems Mitchell, at east it sounds like you're overcoming them. Don't pay any attention to the colour of the wires in the video, they will be different to yours. All you have to do on the SV-1 is wire the output jack (two wires, one hot, one earth - the hot will be a coated wire, the earth bare). Then you take the third wire (earth) and solder it to your bridge; this earths the whole guitar. Let me know if you're still stuck.

And send photos so we can see your handiwork!
    Cheers,

Adam

adamboyle(at)pitbullguitars.com

the hot will be a coated wire
    I just went downstairs to the garage to check the wires, they all look pretty much the same, how do I know wether or not it's coated?

Also, I have plenty of photos of my progress, but I'm having difficulty uploading it to here unfortunately!

Quote from MitchellJBurgess on October 20, 2012, 07:53
    the hot will be a coated wire
    I just went downstairs to the garage to check the wires, they all look pretty much the same, how do I know wether or not it's coated?

Also, I have plenty of photos of my progress, but I'm having difficulty uploading it to here unfortunately!
    There should be two wires together and another wire, all coming off the same pot. Plug a lead from an amp into the output jack and test the wires on the contact points on the output jack until you get a signal. If you've got alligator clips, then use them. If not, just try touching the wires manually. You can't damage any of the electronics.

If you want email me your photos, I'll put them up for you.
    Cheers,

Adam

That is how it's set out with the two wires together and another wire, does that mean the wire on it's own would be the hotwire?

Quote from MitchellJBurgess on October 20, 2012, 08:39
    That is how it's set out with the two wires together and another wire, does that mean the wire on it's own would be the hotwire?
    Nope, the wire on its own is the earth wire that goes to the bridge to earth the guitar. It goes through the hole in the body of the guitar and you solder it to the metal bridge.. as I show in the video.

So, play with the other two wires on the output jack until you get a signal through your amp. I'm sure one of the wires has a white coating, if so, that is the hot wire and it gets soldered to the "hot" contact point on the output jack.
    Cheers,

Adam

Alright sweet,
    Thanks heaps man!

Anyway, I'll send you that picture! What's your email?

Quote from MitchellJBurgess on October 20, 2012, 08:48
    Alright sweet,
    Thanks heaps man!

Anyway, I'll send you that picture! What's your email?
    Adam@pitbullguitars.com

If you still can't get the wiring right, take some photos, close up on the wires, and I'll tell you which wire goes where.

Cheers,

Adam

Just sent the pictures, sorry about the delay I got sidetracked and completely forgot! =P

Here's Mitchell's white SV-1. For the problems you said you had, that finish looks fantastic. What paint did you use? Did you use a clear gloss to finish or is that just the spray paint finish?

Cheers,

Adam

Quote from MitchellJBurgess on October 20, 2012, 07:14
    I've since finished doing the painting...

I went to put the neck in the pocket, just to make sure it fits to find out any problems I may have, and it doesn't fit! So I sanded it down a little, it fits now.

Then I tried to see if the scratchplate would fit over... It didn't, so I fixed that up. Now it fits nicely!
    I'm not having a go at you, Mitchell, but I'd like to point out from your experience-

1. Do a dummy build before you start the finish;
    2. Keep paint out of the neck pocket; and
    3. The neck doesn't just fit, you have to spend a few minutes setting it up, otherwise it will be difficult to play, impossible to tune, and have no sustain.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast