Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Got my first kit!

Glad to help Mitchell,
    Spray cans do run out rather quickly....
    It may also be a good idea to get a mask so you don't breath in the paint 8O
    Also, hold the can at least 30cm away from the job and use sweeping motions, you will get a thin even coat that way.
    The more coats the better!, especially if you are not putting a colour over it.

Dingobass.

There is always a workaround for glitches, mistakes and other Guitar building gremlins.....

Alright, thankyou heaps for the help!

No dramas Mate, glad to help.

There is always a workaround for glitches, mistakes and other Guitar building gremlins.....

Just another thing, it's very hard to get the spray paint in the little tricky bits like the hand place thing!
    How do you suggest doing that?

Make a cardboard shield with the handhole shape cut out of it. You will need to spray this section first. Use a couple of pieces of masking tape to hold it in place and spray away!. By using a shield you will avoid getting those annoying runs on the rest of the job.
    Don't forget to post pics of your progress, we are all really interested to see how your Axe turns out.

Dingobass

It is all about the bottom end...

Hi Mitchell,

Looks like DingoBass has got you covered.

Don't be disappointed that its not all happening perfectly for you first time. A spray painting qualification, for the auto industry, can take years.

My input is, watch as many videos on YouTube about painting as you can. And lots of light coats is the best option. Its ok if its patchy at the start, that should even out when you get more coats on.

Oh, on the back plate. No, there is no rout for the back plate, that's just how it comes. Of course, if you know someone with a router, there's nothing stopping you from making one. On my SV-1, I just mounted the back plate without the rout. It works nicely as a belt buckle protector that way.

Cheers,

Adam

adamboyle(at)pitbullguitars.com

Adam's got some of my ideas on painting, but a couple of things as a preview:

1. The guitar isn't in a hurry. It's got all day. So let the guitar dictate the pace.

2. I see you've already started, but I really encourage people to buy an extra can and practice on some cardboard or scrap. You don't go on stage and expect to play a piece well without practicing it. Spraying is no different.

3. Relax and enjoy the process, instead of hurrying. This is your baby- savour every minute of it instead of rushing it! If you wanted a guitar that's ready in a day or two, you should have bought a finished one.

4. Mask off the neck pocket and pickup routes. No paint in there, please!

5. Follow your nose.

6. Have you adapted your paint timetable for the type of wood?

Well, that's more than a couple...

Enjoy!

Quote from dmac on October 15, 2012, 13:26
    dMac, can we post that script you did for basic painting, I think it would be of great benefit for a few people on here. It will take me a while to make that into a video.

Cheers
    Cheers,

Adam

adamboyle(at)pitbullguitars.com

Quote from adam on October 15, 2012, 18:20
    Quote from dmac on October 15, 2012, 13:26
    dMac, can we post that script you did for basic painting, I think it would be of great benefit for a few people on here. It will take me a while to make that into a video.

Cheers
    Yep, no problem!

If he's willing, run it past Dingobass as well everyone has fresh ideas, and a lot of the preparation work would be the same, no matter what the end finish.

If it reads better, you can muck around with the order of some of the ideas. I pretty well wrote it down as it came to me.

Hello again friends!

I've since finished doing the painting and it looks lovely. I don't want to blow my own horn but I think it has turned out nicely with that nice gloss.

But now I've come to a couple more problems, I went to put the neck in the pocket, just to make sure it fits to find out any problems I may have, and it doesn't fit! So I sanded it down a little, it fits now.
    Then I tried to see if the scratchplate would fit over... It didn't, so I fixed that up.
    Now it fits nicely!

But one problem I have now, I checked out the video Adam has on wiring the guitar, you have a purple wire, a blue wire and a grey wire.
    Well for some reason I have a grey wire, a white wire and a purple wire. So I'm quite confused of what to do about this!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast