Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Wiring Diagrams

/<\\/p>[]<\\/p>/Quote from wokkaboy on August 7, 2013, 12:43
    Hey Josh,
    I've never built a JM kit but looking at the photo on the PBG site it looks like the pickups should be pre-wired.
    Looks like its a similar strat style tremelo so you normally earth to the bracket that holds the tremelo springs to the body, solder to his plate/bracket

Dingobass has built a JM-1 so he can confirm when he reads this.

can you please post a photo of the back of the control plate and scratchplate Josh may shed some light.

Gav is on the right track I'd say you have to run the hot wire and earth to the input jack

Have you had a look online for JM wiring diagrams ?
    the black wire going up is the only loose wire there and I did not receive any extra wiring in the kit

my question is how the hell does the positive travel from the input jack to the selector and pickups, every other guitar I have built the pickups need positive and negative to function but this seems as though only a earth goes from input and controls up to the selector and pickups

The black wire seems to me to be the ground wire for the bridge.

You will need to run a ground wire from the switch (centre lugs on the switch) where the ground from the Pickups is attached. Any one of the spare/unused lugs on the switch AFTER the centre lugs should operate as an output and this needs to be wired to the centre lug of the volume Pot (that's the pot with NO capacitor). You should be good to go thereafter.
    http://www.buildyourownguitar.com.au/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=1258&dateline=1443806  448Gavmeister

the centre lug already has a wire connected to the input jack on the volume pot, hence my confusion the loose earth wire is connected to the top of the bottom tone pot and there is no active connected from the pre loaded scratchplate to the control pots what so ever

/<\\/p>[]<\\/p>/Quote from joshj on August 7, 2013, 14:53
    the centre lug already has a wire connected to the input jack on the volume pot, hence my confusion the loose earth wire is connected to the top of the bottom tone pot and there is no active connected from the pre loaded scratchplate to the control pots what so ever
    this is the input and control pot I have notice the only wire loose is the ground wire at the lower tone pot and there are no active wires from the switch to the pots that I can solder to complete the circut

/<\\/p>[/<\\/p>[]<\\/p>/]<\\/p>/Quote from joshj on August 7, 2013, 14:53
    I know. The hot wire from the switch should either be soldered to the middle lug of the volume pot or to the lug on the left of it. Either way it should produce sound.

Re-read my post, follow it or ask if there is a confusion and it will work.
    http://www.buildyourownguitar.com.au/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=1258&dateline=1443806  448Gavmeister

/<\\/p>[]<\\/p>/Quote from joshj on August 7, 2013, 14:53
    Hi Josh,
    try the attached wiring diagram, its a strat diagram with the same configuration as yours, 1 humbucker, 2 singles, 1 volume, 2 tones and 5 way switch

Looks like you have to run a hot and earth from the volume pot to the switch, then obviously the long black loose wire is the earth to the tremelo spring plate.

see how that goes, you will need 2 wires to complete the 2 connections switch to volume pot.
    The rest of the wiring looks complete in the photo

let us know how you go !
    Current Builds and status
    scratch end grain pine tele - first clear coat on !
    JBA-4 - assembled - final tweaks
    Telemonster double scale tele - finish tobacco burst on body and sand neck

Completed builds
    scratch oak.rose gum Jazzmaster - assembled needs setup
    MK-2 Mosrite - assembled - play in
    Ash tele with Baritone neck - neck pup wiring tweaks and play in

Here's one with the same switch you have.

And I shall send you some wire tomorrow to complete the setup!

There is always a workaround for glitches, mistakes and other Guitar building gremlins.....

thankyou for the help the last question I have is that would this mean that the tone pots are not in need of an active wire?

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast