Thread: Humbucker spacing

Humbucker spacing

I am building a PB starcaster FS-1 kit. Was planning on upgrading the pickups from tonerider website.

Went back to Measure the polespacing. I thought both were 50mm spaced but turns out that the pickup that came with my FS-1 was 50mm in neck and 52 mm in bridge ( Centre E to Centre El

https://i.ibb.co/2WYm8LV/Picsart-23-...-49-42-075.jpg

Can someone confirm if this is right and should I order a F spaced ( 52.4mm) Humbucker for the bridge
    ?

Sent from my NE2211 using Tapatalk

I don't really know what they are supposed to be, but hope someone here will. What matters more is how your strings align over the pickups. how far apart are the center points of the strings?

The cheap pickups that come with PB guitars in un-upgraded kits are cheap Chinese and may not be an exact fit for your guitar anyway.

Of course, you could just cheat like I do...

Name:  IMG_20191102_202958__01-529x1482__01.jpg
Views: 111
Size:  26.1 KB

Quote Originally Posted by fender3x View Post
    I don't really know what they are supposed to be, but hope someone here will. What matters more is how your strings align over the pickups. how far apart are the center points of the strings?

The cheap pickups that come with PB guitars in un-upgraded kits are cheap Chinese and may not be an exact fit for your guitar anyway.

Of course, you could just cheat like I do...

Name:  IMG_20191102_202958__01-529x1482__01.jpg
Views: 111
Size:  26.1 KB
    Probably easier than my solution to the string spacing problem.... DIY pups...

Hi guys got a reply from Adam that FS-1 kits come with 52.4mm F spaced humbuckers in the bridge. Now Going to order tonerider AC4 for neck and Birminghams with 52mm spacing for the bridge

@fender3x that's a cool idea to use P-Rails. I would have done that if I had been building a solid body. I have never seen a semihollow body with one

Sent from my NE2211 using Tapatalk

I have used bar or rail pickups on the two semi-hollow basses I have done. Both were routed for standard humbuckers. It was difficult finding something that would work and also fit in the rout. On the first I used full-sized lipstick tubes that fit in the "ears" of the humbucker rout without too much difficulty. These use bar magnets so spacing is not an issue. On the second I found a deal on some NOS Bill Lawrence EB-50 bass humbuckers. If you compare them to the guitar pickups the rail is much wider. I didn't really set out to use rail pickups, but they were the right size, the right price, and they sound great so they have been there ever since.

EB-50s were designed for bass although they look like the guitar L500 pickups. The specs are quite different though. To my ear they sound like a P-bass pickup with a bit more high end sparkle.

I have never used Toneriders, but others here have really liked them.