Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Nut Files ??? What to buy

Nut Files ??? What to buy

Hi can anyone guide me, I am wanting to buy some nut files, my problem is I am happy to spend for quality, but not wanting to spend to excessively, like several hundred dollars, can anyone point me to any options that are good quality but not stupid expensive.

Thanks in advance

I've had this set of Hiroshima* for about 5 years, and have very happy with them. Definitely good quality and the range of sizes will allow you cut nearly any guitar nut.
    Their located in QLD and have free shipping over $80. You might find them for less overseas (direct from Japan) but for quick and convenient, ALS might be worth the extra. They're a good mob too. Been very helpful to me over the years.

Edit to add: *The .010" - .056" set

Edit to add:

Same set from Plaza Japan $136.17AU with DHL Express Worldwide
    Last edited by McCreed; 18-07-2022 at 06:38 PM.
    Making the world a better place; one guitar at a time...

Thanks for the reply, they look good, I would support the local guys for sure, just deciding if near on $200 is justified.

While you are on here, was it you who has a topic regarding wipe on poly and best way to apply, what material to use, etc, I cant seem to locate it

Good nut files are expensive, but worth their weight in gold if you have several guitars or get into setting up friend's guitars as well as your own. I've never found a really affordable set that's any good, and I always think it's something that should be made in China but doesn't appear to be.

I use Hosco nut files, and have added a couple of individual nut files to the 10-file set I initially bought to expand the range (UK example given): https://tonetechluthiersupplies.co.u...set-of-10.html

StewMac also sell their own nut file sets: https://www.stewmac.com/luthier-tool...lectric-guitar

They seem to have stopped selling them individually, which is a pity.

With the smaller number of file sets, it's best to go for the largest gauge you are likely to use, so if you use 9s and 10s, then always go for a set for 10s. As a slightly larger slot is fine, but too small a slot isn't. But a set for 10s often won't be suitable for 12s or 13s on an acoustic unless you buy supplementary files.

McCreed's set are about as affordable a good set as you are likely to get, though if you want a better match to some string sizes, you may need to find somewhere that sells them individually as well as in sets. Of course you can always mix files from different manufacturers if necessary to make your perfect set up.

But once you start using them, you'll wonder how you ever managed without. And then your setups become better, your guitars play like butter and you'd willingly play twice the price for a set!

Quote Originally Posted by Simon Barden View Post

But once you start using them, you'll wonder how you ever managed without. And then your setups become better, your guitars play like butter and you'd willingly play twice the price for a set!
    Thanks Simon, this is my motivation, with my first build it is still the one thing that is not right I think, it was the most frustring part of the build. I am leaning to the Hiroshima* that mcreed suggested, bit pricy but will get the result i want

Quote Originally Posted by grantxx View Post
    I am leaning to the Hiroshima* that mcreed suggested, bit pricy but will get the result i want
    If cost is an issue, the $136 set from Plaza Japan is a *really* good price. With DHL, they'd get to AUS pretty quickly.

I bought a bass set and new crowning file from there and they didn't take long to arrive.

I got this set of Holmer bass nut files for around $40 from Amazon and they worked very well for what I needed. I'm not a professional luthier who is building and repairing guitars non-stop.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Quote Originally Posted by patrickparks1 View Post
    I got this set of Holmer bass nut files for around $40 from Amazon and they worked very well for what I needed. I'm not a professional luthier who is building and repairing guitars non-stop.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    Thanks guys, I have bit the bullet so to speak and purchased the Hiroshima files, I looked long and hard at these style, is a few options around for them, I just wanted to go mid range, I guess, thanks again guys. I am also no where near a pro, but I do know of many guitars that will benifit from these

You don't need to be a pro, just be able to afford them, but it's actually quite quick to get to that standard.

I've had a similar file set to of those three Amazon nut files in the past and whilst they are certainly better than no nut files, on mine the width wasn't well regulated. Certainly on my set the high E slot created was just as wide as the G slot. When I got my Hosco set, I replaced the nuts on the guitars I'd used those files on and I was certainly a lot happier with the end results.

I'm also not that keen on double-sided style files in general, due to the V-shaped notches they make (even though Hosco do a set that is far from cheap). When string bending your strings are more likely to pop out of the slots with angled sides if you don't have relatively deep slots. If you like to have about half the string poking above the top of the nut, you really need straight-sided nut slots.

But I do wish that a good set of files was a lot cheaper.

10. Liked by: grantxx

Quote Originally Posted by Simon Barden View Post
    You don't need to be a pro, just be able to afford them, but it's actually quite quick to get to that standard.

I've had a similar file set to of those three Amazon nut files in the past and whilst they are certainly better than no nut files, on mine the width wasn't well regulated.
    What I didn't like about that Amazon set, was that the teeth did not go beyond the radius and up the "V" like the Hoscos do. I'm not a big fan of V-cut files anyway, but I think those would make it harder to get clean slots. At least on the sides.

Just curious Grant, where did you end up buying them?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast