Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Build#2 - DSCM

Quote Originally Posted by Simon Barden View Post
    It's always recommended bu the manufacturers to remove as much of the grain filler as possible using a plastic or rubber scraper before it sets, to minimise the sanding required.
    Yes learnt that the hard way just now

[/QUOTE]Nice headstock shape and not derivative.[/QUOTE]

Thanks, was wanting something simple

So not much progress, 3 runs with filler now, still got some final sanding to do and working on frets now. (Got my nice shiny new nuts files as well)

Starting to think now - better quality pick ups and electronics etc, without hours of google, I would appreciate some feedback on what is great and whats is great value, as always appreciate any feedback

It's hard to beat the Tonerider pickups for great sound and value and Pit Bull sell them so they're easy to come by. CTS, Bourns or Alpha pots (get 18-spline shaft versions if you want to use the kit knobs, otherwise they'll normally be 24-spline shafts and you'll need new knobs to suit). Pure Tone output jack. Switchcraft 3-way toggle (last for ages). I'd go for a mixture of vintage cloth push-back wire and braided single core for the longer runs. Orange drop tone capacitors (if you can find cheap PIO (paper in oil) caps on Amazon or eBay, then give them a go, but it's not worth spending vast amounts of money as it makes very little difference.

I'd suggest wiring it in '50s fashion,

...which helps preserve the treble when you turn the volume down.

cont...

Thanks Simon, that just saved me hours of google, i will have a good look at these, really appreciated as always

+1 on Toneriders.
    I'm not a huge HB guy, the ones I've have had in the past have been really good sounding and value for money.
    I think their single coils are great as well.
    Making the world a better place; one guitar at a time...

Thanks again McCreed and Simon, have browsed the available options, not sure exactly what I would need.

Little bit more progress today, frets level and polish started. One down many to go ...

The pots should be the ‘medium’ shaft length. The short shafts are for fitting direct to a scratchplate. The mediums should fit almost all holes drilled through wooden tops. Some older guitars may need the long shaft pots if they have very thick tops, but they are considerably longer and though I’ve bought some, I’ve never found a need for them. You can use nuts and washers, but they’ll sit very high in the control cavity and that looks weird.

Going back to the wiring, rather tha use a piece of solid wire to ground all the pots (which is the traditional Les Paul way), you can adapt this 335 wiring method and use the cable braid instead to do that job.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast