Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: JZ-6 build

Well done! Always nerve-racking doing something like that, but at least you were doing it before any finish went on, so you could have probably steamed out any dent if you did make a mark.

The D’Addario strings are notorious for having the same issue as the Fender ones that come with the Squier VIs... the low E is just too light and feels... floppy.

However, that's on the Squier, if that hasn't been your experience on the JZ-6 that's great news. If anything, I would have thought it'd be worse on the JZ-6 since the total length (from tremolo anchor to machine head) is shorter than the Squier VI... 🤔

I currently use Fender Super 250s (.024 - .100) on mine, but I just got some Stringjoy ones from the US that I am going to trial (.026 - .095). The Fender ones are strangely becoming hard to come by locally... so...

Total length has nothing to do with the string tension. It will affect how it feels to bend strings, but for straightforward fretting, it makes no difference. The string frequency equation using of vibrating length, mass per unit length and tension still mean that if the scale length is the same, then for the same strings, the tension will be the same.

It’s only when you start bending strings and overcome the static friction at the nut and bridge that the extra lengths of string come into play and it becomes easier to bend a string a certain distance. However, for a longer overall string, you have to bend it further to get it to the same raised tension (say up a semitone) as a shorter overall string length. So in the end you still apply just as much force with your fingers, but it feels a bit easier through most of the bend action.

Started the finishing. Using Wudtone T-Bird, and I'm going for a solid colour using the "stipple and wet sand with olive oil" approach.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1450.jpg 
Views:	205 
Size:	264.3 KB 
ID:	43317
    Builds:

Current: JZ-6
    GR-1SF
    ES-12Q
    Coban P-Bass
    Guitar Kit Fabric - Rickenbacker
    ML-Factory - Electro-resonator

I haven’t heard of that method before.

Presumably you just dab the finish on and then sand that when dry using the oil instead of water to stop the wood expanding in the holes. Or do you sand when the finish is wet to spread it around and push it into the wood?

You let it cure for a day or two and then sand with olive oil. I'm guessing that that slightly liquifies the surface and turns the finish dust into another, very thin layer.
    Builds:

GR-1SF
    ES-12Q
    Coban P-Bass

I’ve been thinking about the pickup configuration. I’m going to install the stock setup first and live with it for a while, but I’m leaning toward the idea of a pickup closer to the bridge with an SSH configuration, with coil splitting in switch position 2.

Third colour coat on the body and second clear coat on the neck.

I'm probably only going to do three coats on the neck. The body will have around three more colour coats and then around four clear coats.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1458.jpeg 
Views:	118 
Size:	184.5 KB 
ID:	43322
    Builds:

GR-1SF
    ES-12Q
    Coban P-Bass

I'm thinking of using Forstner bits with a hand drill to carve out a cavity for a bridge humbucker, as I don't have a router and can't justify the expense of one.

Has anyone had experience doing it that way?
    Builds:

GR-1SF
    ES-12Q
    Coban P-Bass

Will it be exposed or will it be covered by a pickguard?

If exposed, you'll need to keep it very neat (even with a pickup surround). Whilst Forstner bits are a good way of removing a lot of wood, unless you have good chiselling skills for the final removal, you may find that finishing off the sides with a sanding drum on a Dremel is easiest. My woodworking skills are such that I certainly wouldn't do a rout for a body-mounted pickup (with no surround) without using a router.

Don't forget that the central spike on a Forstnet bit (depending on its diameter) can be between 3-5mm long, so allow for that when drilling and don't go deeper than you need to as you don't want holes poking out the back.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast