Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: I was gifted an aucustic ibanez 12 string guitar, help me treat it right

Also finished the 'torque backplate' except for the tips of the break-angle, i think i will saw a slot and insert a washer for the wire to run through

I didnt think that end grain glue joint would handle the potential torque so i added screws

This is a picture of the inside of the guitar, my torque backplate will be mounted here, that veneer(?) is well bonded to the soundboard, no problems just gluing my maple straight to it?

All those holes will line up and provide a great opportunity to put a m5 bolt in every hole to get the joint real tight, no long clamps needed

You might wonder how i aim to put tension to the wire, i think i have a real neat solution to be able to add tension by turning the bottom strap button (yes im over doing it but its enjoyable)

I am getting ready to glue the main piece to the inside soon but i'll give it a rest if any of you guys catch anything i forgotten
    Last edited by Manisk; 07-07-2022 at 04:02 AM.

Added another piece to reinforce the triangles, now waiting for glue to set so i can do the finishing touches

That under-saddle base plate should be firmly glued to the top, so yes, sticking your support to it should be fine.

Rather than the strap button, would it be possible to add a tuner somewhere and use that to tension the wire? Getting the position and angle right may be difficult though, and then protecting it from being moved after being set up could be difficult as well.

Hey simon i did think a lot about using tuners but i discarded that idea until you got me thinking that if i orient the wire in a different direction i can absolutely do that, with great success if i also were to include ptfe washers to act as a break angle and supply mechanical advantage at calculated points

But now im commited with all the hardware ready for a speedy setup
    Next time i might contact a luthier for a more civilized restoration

But hey its a good learning process for me about acoustics and what might or might not work, im aware my approach is unorthodox
    Last edited by Manisk; 08-07-2022 at 01:04 PM.

It certainly is, but you are certainly going through a learning process, which is always good (even if it doesn’t quite work at the end).

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3