Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Beeswax to fill holes?

Beeswax to fill holes?

So, I bought some beeswax to fill screw holes prior to wetsanding, based on recommendations in the forums
    The beeswax from Bunnings is in a hard block.

How do I use this? Does it need to be melted first somehow? Shaved into a plug? I've no idea how to use this product to temporarily plug screw holes.

Thanks for your advice!

I think McCreed uses beeswax paste, rather than solid beeswax. The paste looks to be a mixture of beeswax and turpentine. So you could have a go at maxing some paste yourself, but it will probably be easier to buy a jar/tin of it.

I use the solid beeswax for scraping onto screws before fitting, so it shouldn’t go to waste.

Heating up the wax so it’s soft enough to push down holes will probably make it warm enough to mark the finish.

Quote Originally Posted by Simon Barden View Post
    I think McCreed uses beeswax paste, rather than solid beeswax. The paste looks to be a mixture of beeswax and turpentine. So you could have a go at maxing some paste yourself, but it will probably be easier to buy a jar/tin of it.
    Sounds like the paste wax one of the guys at the shed (ex cabinet maker) uses. Not sure if it's turps or another solvent he uses.

The bought pastes I've seen pictures of on-line state 'pure turpentine' on the label.

I use the block bee's wax. (I also got mine from Bunnings)
    I just use a paddle-pop stick to scrape a bit directly off the block near the hole and then use the same stick to pack it in.
    There will be a small bit of wax that smears around the hole, but it doesn't matter. It will come off once you start wet sanding, or if it really worries you, it can be cleaned off quickly with a rag dampened with naptha before sanding.

FWIW, I've had that block for about 5 years and it will probably be here when I'm gone. And that's with uses varying from hole plugging to waxing screw threads, to minor pickup repairs.
    Making the world a better place; one guitar at a time...

Thanks for the advice. I'll start plugging today with beeswax, and keep a little shellite (naptha) on hand for clean up.

Then the level and wet sand.

Quote Originally Posted by Mathew View Post
    Thanks for the advice. I'll start plugging today with beeswax, and keep a little shellite (naptha) on hand for clean up.

Then the level and wet sand.
    If you're going to initially dry sand to level, I would leave the wax out until you're ready to wet sand. Less chance of any residual wax clogging the dry paper. Less of an issue with the finer grade wet paper IME.
    Making the world a better place; one guitar at a time...

Thanks McCreed. That's great advice - much appreciated.

Beeswax worked a treat!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20220903_181600.jpg 
Views:	106 
Size:	158.5 KB 
ID:	43508

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast