Thread: July GOTM

July GOTM

Considering the artistry that shows up on this thread, I don't know if this qualifies as a GOTM contender. But I've gotten a lot of complements on it, so it might as well be seen. Mostly stock PBG, with D'Addario tuners. Left a very slight grain in the ash body, which catches the light an gives it a sparkle.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MKAfrront.jpg 
Views:	132 
Size:	132.0 KB 
ID:	43228 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MKAback-2.jpg 
Views:	136 
Size:	171.1 KB 
ID:	43229 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MKAhead.jpg 
Views:	127 
Size:	84.8 KB 
ID:	43230Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MkAfull.jpg 
Views:	144 
Size:	113.1 KB 
ID:	43231

"July Guitar of the Month (for Guitars and Basses finished in June)

Enter your finished guitar or bass here to be judged for the Pit Bull Guitars July Guitar of the Month.

Please remember:

For Guitars or Basses finished on (or before) the end of June.

One guitar/bass per member per month.
    It must be a Pit Bull Guitars kit (mods and upgrades acceptable).
    Guitar or Bass must be finished and playable.

We need at least 4 photos:
    · full guitar shot from the front;
    · close up of the body finish;
    · shot of the back of the guitar; and
    · close up of the headstock (please, no brand name logos)

Please post your photos in this thread. If you are having issues posting photos on the forum, please email them to brendan (at) pitbullguitars (dot) com

Please note: This competition is open to amateur guitar builders only. If you are making and selling guitars for profit, you are ineligible. Also while there are some stunning guitars around - you never know what the judges are looking for, so we encourage anyone who's built a Pitbull during the month to enter!

Competition for July closes at the end of June (Perth Western Australian time).

The sorts of things we judge on include:
    · How well have the body and neck been prepared
    · Is the choice of finish for the style of guitar appropriate
    · How well has the finish been applied
    · How well has all the hardware, pickups, etc, been installed
    · Does it have the 'Wow Factor'· Which guitar would you make a beeline for in a guitar shop. That is, which one would you most like to take home.

BTW - remember that the winner is invited to be a guest judge the following month!"

This was the first kit i got from Pitbull. This is it's 3rd iteration over 2 years.
    Finally happy with the result.

The figuring on the ash body was not done justice to until this time around. My first effort was with poor dye, the second was with a torch, it was ok but just didn't hit the right spot for me. I have heavily modified the body from the original. Lots of carving, humbucker rout for the neck and a new lower horn. The control plate has been recessed into the body. The stain is from Crimson and I used Dulux Duramax for top coat. Sanded with 600 grit after 1 can. It is not polished as I wanted the texture of the grain to be a feature.

Pickups are a pair of Seymour Duncan's. Wiring is 3-way with a Single volume control. Mini toggle on neck for South coil/Series/Parallel, Mini toggle on bridge for North coil/Series/Parallel.

3-Saddle Top Load, String-Through bridge with Compensated Brass Saddles and Grover locking tuners.

Name:	aviary-image-1654941350650.jpeg 
Views:	587 
Size:	302.8 KB 
ID:	43247 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	aviary-image-1654941374754.jpeg 
Views:	114 
Size:	301.4 KB 
ID:	43248

Name:	20220611_192113_resized.jpg 
Views:	119 
Size:	252.8 KB 
ID:	43249 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20220611_192038_resized.jpg 
Views:	128 
Size:	232.6 KB 
ID:	43250

Name:	20220611_192052_resized.jpg 
Views:	122 
Size:	234.1 KB 
ID:	43251

Purple lefty IB-1F

This is my first foray into building guitar kits. Upgrades include gotoh tuners and tremolo .
    Neck treated to pale boiled linseed oil, left the natural look to contrast with the colour .
    The body was sealed with water based clear and polished.
    Also off set the tuning pegs for a bit of a difference.
    Got set up at the local guitar shop and had a good reaction from them.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20220622_143101.jpg 
Views:	98 
Size:	182.5 KB 
ID:	43355   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20220622_143041.jpg 
Views:	555 
Size:	182.8 KB 
ID:	43358   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	rear guitar 1.jpg 
Views:	86 
Size:	207.1 KB 
ID:	43354   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20220622_143200 (1).jpg 
Views:	90 
Size:	73.7 KB 
ID:	43359   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1500size small.jpg 
Views:	103 
Size:	329.8 KB 
ID:	43353  

Last edited by Senobi; 23-07-2022 at 12:30 PM.

5. Liked by: mrpearson

Left handed 6 string bass with spalted maple top. Finished with feast Watson's golden teak and satin poly.

Diary is here https://www.buildyourownguitar.com.a...ad.php?t=12042

Stock everything except for putting Ernie ball custom 6 string bass strings on.

OK comp closed. New one shortly.

Sorry - was knocked around by the 'rona then decided to catch the flu after....
    Back on deck with some comments!

1. XP Rider's MKA-2 -
    Nice cherry red. It’s picked out the ash nicely. Overall great guitar!
    Noice. Can see this thing making some noise! Great looking guitar with some sweet looks. Use of the D’Addario tuners is a great idea. Minor point – next time feel free to experiment with your own logo!
    I think your comment undersells the guitar! It looks like a great guitar and looks like it will turn heads. Ultimately though if you’re happy – that’s all that matters.
    Classic style and looks – what more can you ask for?
    I love the colours and the bold headstock! This guitar has an antique and matte feel that that is very charming. It makes me feel sitting by the fire and jam along with some friends! The PitBull decal is great but it would have been great to see a custom logo or something a bit more personal
    2. Johnbamb's TLA-1 -
    Lots of custom work on this one – end outcome – something special. Looks like third try’s a charm!
    John – worth the third attempt – this is a great looking guitar. Looks like a Tele and a MusicMan bass had a baby – great looking guitar!
    Nice tweaks and adds. Great that you’ve kept the grain as a feature, but the colours and styling seem to enhance it. Awesome work!
    Love the shaping – really makes this guitar. You’ve done an awesome job on it!
    I love the dedication and the fact that you embraced the long journey until you were satisfied!
    The grain on this guitar is absolutely beautiful and it has been treated very well.
    The red and black combo on the body is very elegant, the black neck is a great choice and that headstock shape & logo are very great choices, congratulations! I would definitely try this guitar if it was in shop or for sale.
    3. Senobi's IB-1F -
    Love the take on a classic. Nice reflection on a legend. Keep it up.
    Purple worthy of a Prince guitar! Fitting tribute to Bowie!
    Great finish – the purple is awesome – coming from a not purple fan. Nice work on the Floyd as well.
    Senobi – nice start! With guitars like this it’s easy to see why this is becoming such a popular hobby.
    This is neat, wherever I look, this is very neat! The body colour is absolutely brilliant, I love the headstock decal and the general feel… very aggressive, in the most musical and positive way! A very professional looking & finish, perfectly assembled instrument.
    Well done!
    4. Jarro's IB-6S -
    Sweet bass Jarro. Love the colour and it highlights the spalting nicely.
    Great to see another lefty - looks like the month for them! Overall great effect and a lovely guitar!
    The colour has come out nicely and has given a nice effect. Great outcome and keep them coming!
    That fretboard looks like a monster! Nice guitar and hope it plays well. Great work.
    Wow! The grain has been treated very well, creating an excellent and precise contrast with the orange I love how the grain appears in such a subtle way, while at the same time being so distinctive.
    I can tell that this bass has been very well assembled and a lot of care & dedication has gone into this project! I love that there’s no decal, I love the simplicity of it, however I would have loved a personal touch somewhere, like the name of the bass or a logo somewhere.

So - based on the judges feedback - runner up is:
    Senobi's IB-1F - - great choice and delivery of colour and a fitting tribute to the legend.

And a winner - with all the custom work - congratulations to Johnbamb's TLA-1 - ! Awesome work!

Thanks for the awesome feedback. I gigged with it the other day. That was a very satisfying experience.