Thread: How should I finish my neck??

Question How should I finish my neck??

I finished staining my ES-3 body and neck, and I’m ready to start finishing it. For the body I plan to apply 1-2 coats of tung oil, letting that completely dry, then ending with an oil-based poly finish. However, I’ve seen people say that finishing guitar necks with tung oil or poly can lead to it having a sticky feeling when playing. What are some good ways to get a smooth, glossy finish on the neck?? Anything helps!

I wouldn’t worry too much about it. 95% or more of all guitar necks are finished in nitro or poly and some can feel sticky if a full gloss. No idea why, but it’s often a phase that passes. So you could apply a satin finish, or if a gloss neck does feel a bit sticky, then simply give it a light sanding with P600 or P800 grit and you’ll be sliding up and down it with ease again.

If you listened to everyone, you’d never apply any finish as all of them will feel sticky to someone. I think a lot is down to body chemistry and how acidic your sweat is and how sweaty your hands get when playing. Too much moisture on your palms and you may create micro-suction areas between ridges of skin and a very flat neck surface that impedes movement. A rougher texture may let more air in/out of these small areas so far less suction occurs. Or it may be that a higher coefficient of static friction occurs in some circumstances (as glossy necks generally only feel sticky at times, and are fine to play the rest of the time). Or it may be that on newer finishes, heat releases some trapped solvent to soften the surface a bit and create more friction. Or it may be hand acids that soften the surface a bit.

But I haven’t found any neck that’s a few years old to still be sticky.

So whatever the reason, you can almost always correct it with a light sand. Playing will smooth and polish the finish again over time, so if it does start to feel sticky, then simply sand again.

FWIW, a few years ago I switched to doing all my necks with satin poly. I just prefer the feel more than gloss.
    I still have some older builds that have gloss but for whatever reason, they don't seem to suffer the "sticky neck syndrome". It may be worth noting that I moved from acrylic lacquer to poly before that because I really didn't get on with the feel of the lacquer.

Also, there must be a reason Fender has switched a while ago to satin finishes on most of their necks, and even list it as a "feature".
    I'm guessing enough people disliked the gloss that they made the change. I wouldn't be surprised if the satin finish is easier and/or cheaper than gloss. Fender (particularly Leo) has had a long history of a "bottom line" mentality.
    Making the world a better place; one guitar at a time...

Satin doesn’t require the final sanding and buffing stages that a gloss finish does, so it will save them money over a gloss one. And of course their vintage correct models will have gloss necks.

I saw a video where someone from the Fender custom shop said a couple of applications of carnauba wax will make any sticky gloss neck feel slick.

And you can always combine a gloss headstock face with a satin rear finish if you want the gloss look but satin feel.

I saw a video where someone from the Fender custom shop said a couple of applications of carnauba wax will make any sticky gloss neck feel slick.
    Interesting. I just checked my "collection" thinking I'd try that on my lacquered necks, turns out I don't have any anymore!
    The acrylic lacquer ones I did have, have been stripped and refinished in poly.
    So my 11 electrics necks have: gloss poly x 2; satin poly x 7 and Tru Oil (gloss) x 2

And you can always combine a gloss headstock face with a satin rear finish if you want the gloss look but satin feel.
    I have done the gloss front/satin back on a few of mine. However the last few have been all satin. Mostly out of laziness
    Making the world a better place; one guitar at a time...

i went with satin poly on my deck for my bass that I built recently. Super happy with the way it turned out.

I typically steel wool the backs of my necks every so often to restore a satin feel. My Dec 2022 FB-1 build will have satin laquer. I'll see how sticky it feels over time. For me, a lot of that has to do with the season, and the condition of my hands. I try to keep them quite dry, but painted necks do heat up and feel sticky for me. Steel wool definitely helps mee keep the sheen down.