Thread: Yet Another New Builder - AG-1

Yet Another New Builder - AG-1

Hi all, great resource here, was the reason I went with Pitbull. I purchased an AG-1 kit, received the kit and done the mockup, must say really impressed so far. plan is to enhance the grain of the solid basswood body, have black hardware and keen to get into it. Will do a build log.

I am experienced (handyman level) wood worker, and keen to get rolling. If anyone has done one of these kits would really appreciate a link and any advice, ready to get rolling.

Cheers
    Grant

Hi and welcome.

IMO there's not a lot you can do to enhance the grain of basswood. It's not quilted or striped maple, where the cross-grain patterns absorb more stain than the main grain, the stain take-up seems to be fairly even.

Hi and welcome Grant,
    Good luck with your build, and remember you can ask lots of questions.

I did an AG-2 kit a while back. As Simon says, not much can be done to enhance the lack of grain with basswood. I gave mine a dilute coat of FW black stain, then red alcohol ink, and finished with tru-oil to achieve a cherry red colour. I think the black did help highlight bits of the body.

The link for this build diary is https://www.buildyourownguitar.com.a...l=1#post207232.

How are you intending to finish your AG-1?
    PitBull Builds: FVB-4, LP-1SS, FBM-1, AG-2, TB-4, SSCM-1, TLA-1, TL-1TB, STA-1HT, DSCM-1 Truckster, ST-1, STA-1, MBM-1.

Scratch Builds: Pine Explorer, Axe Bass, Mr Scary, Scratchy Tele's.

The little voices in my head keep telling me "build more guitars"

Thanks for the welcome, much appreciated. Agree with regard to grain not alot to work with there. At the moment my plan on finish is still up in the air to be honest just doing a bit a research. Most likely will try and just warm up the timber a bit and get a nice gloss finish is all i can think of right now. Love your build Trevor awesome finish,
    Just did another mock-up before I kick off, loads of questions to follow. I will start a build thread next. Cheers for the welcome, can you point me to the correct wiring diagram for the AG-1 I can't seem to ID it.

Quote Originally Posted by Simon Barden View Post
    Legend, thanks

My GSJ-1 (SG Jr) and GSM-1 (an SG) had mahogany bodies (or at least a near mahogany). I stained them heritage cherry red, and then sprayed them with cherry red nitro as well for one of the classic Gibson finishes. Being mahogany, I was able to do some dark grain filling before spraying, which I think highlighted some of the grain, but by the time I sanded it back, there may not have been much left!

Just checked out your builds, very nice, I hope to get mine close to that sort finish, I will be happy if half as good. You have some skills.

My build thread