Thread: New ES-3 build

New ES-3 build

This is my first build and I really wanted to try a hollow body jazz style guitar, as Steve Howe is one of my idols haha. I was pleasantly surprised to see that the body came with a quilted maple top, but I’m a little confused as to what I should do in regards to sanding. In preparation for this build, I’ve been watching other es-3 builds and sanding guides, and I had planned to sand the whole body like most other people did. However they did not have quilted tops, and the Pitbull Guitars instruction manual says “If your kit has a veneered top such as Spalted, Flame, or Quilted Maple, DO NOT SAND THE TOP!” Should I not sand at all, or is there another option to prepare the body for staining? Any help would be appreciated!!

It will probably be ok for a light sand, but take it easy.
    Check for glue spots.
    Check the neck angle to bridge with a straight edge.
    Simon Bardon is currently building a ES model for a friend. Check out his build diary.
    Good luck!

Hi and welcome.

The ES-3 kits have notoriously shallow neck angles and using the kit bridge (or most standard equivalent T-O-M type bridges) and getting a low action can be impossible unless you modify the neck angle (not easy) or fit a really low profile bridge like a Goldo Lowrider (my final solution).

You only need to sand if the surface is rough, and as all surfaces are ply with an outer veneer layer, and sanding should be very lihjt indeed. Sanding is really for solid body guitars to remove machining marks in the wood (especially endgrain).

The ES-3 normally has a basswood ply body, with a figured basswood veneer. But both basswood and maple (if you have a maple veneer top) are closed pore woods, so there is no need to grain fill.

It is worth masking the binding before staining. The binding develops fine stress cracks when bent round curves, the tighter the radius, the more cracks. Almost impossible to see normally, but spirit-based stains especially can seep in and show them up. Very hard, if not impossible to remove. Water-based stains tend to stay on the surface more and can be sanded or scraped off.