Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: First built - Custom EXA-7 (Dora the 7Xplorer)

First built - Custom EXA-7 (Dora the 7Xplorer)

Hi everyone. I've been reading the forum for a bit now, but this is my first post as I just received my custom made EXA-7. I've done some soldering in the past and besides what products to use, I'm quite okay with the sanding and staining part.

I just did my mock built and in general it looks okay, but there are a couple of things that worry me + one that doesn't worry me as such, but it has already gone wrong.

The simplest one is that one of the tuning pegs that come with the basic kit does not work. The thread inside seems to be damaged and I can't fit the nut that sits on the top side of the headstock. While disappointing, this is just a matter of changing the tuning peg.

The two things that do worry me is that the neck seems to be taller on the 7th string side by half a millimetre and I don't know if this is normal or not. It took me a long time to properly measure the distance because reading 1/2 is hard for my eyes, but I could definitely notice a bit of an angle.

The second one is that I suspect the routing for the floyd rose bridge may be a bit short on one side and doesn't seem to give enough space for the bit under the bridge where the whammy bar fits. In my overall mock, the bridge sat fine in the whole, but it was very high to allow the "strings" to remain straight, but once I let it "fall" into the cavity, it hits the wood on the side of the whammy bar.

Are these two things something to be worried about? Are they normal? Or am I expected to do a bit more routing?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpeg 
Views:	78 
Size:	545.1 KB 
ID:	43157   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image(3).jpeg 
Views:	79 
Size:	884.5 KB 
ID:	43158   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image (1).jpeg 
Views:	70 
Size:	870.5 KB 
ID:	43159   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	74 
Size:	204.2 KB 
ID:	43160  

Hi and welcome.

Any faulty components - let Pit Bull know and they'll send you replacements.

Fretboard angle. Ideally it should be flat, but these kits are hand made using jigs and routers, not CNC machinery (unfortunately). So you'll often find that some things don't quite fit or line up as you'd wish. Sometimes you can sand or fettle things to make it better, sometimes you have to live with it. A couple of my kits have that non-flat fretboard. But at least it's angled the right way and probably makes it slightly easier to play as it's angled towards your playing hand.

If you want to pull upward bends, then the FR cavity needs to be large enough to fit the plate in. You've got the choice of either sending the kit back and waiting months for a replacement, or having a go at enlarging the cavity yourself. You could use a router to do it, but small enlargements can be done with a drum sander on a Dremel, if you've got one. Or there's the traditional approach to carving wood and using a chisel. It all depends what's in your comfort zone.

When you knock the FR posts in, make sure the wood under them is fully supported, otherwise you may find the surrounding wood can split. It did on a 2-post Strat I made. All fixable, but its a PITA and better avoided if possible.

3. Liked by: Juanito, phrozin

Thanks Simon!

As it was a custom kit, it took a long time to arrive and I don't want to wait anymore hahahah I think I'll open the FR cavity myself (or with someone else).

I guess the neck is not a bad thing, I just noticed and thought the hivemind could help me out. I will contact them about the tuning pegs, which is a simple fix.

Cheers

It's not easy to correct the sloping fretboard as you have to adjust the angle of the sides and base of the neck heel. Which is both hard to do accurately and will probably leave the neck heel a bit loose in the pocket. As it's not excessive, I'd just accept it. If you are using pickup rings rather than direct mounting the pickups, the neck one will hide most of the end of the neck and make it less obvious.

It's worth trying out how the neck feels in your hand. My EX-1 has a very chunky 50's Gibson feel to it, which I didn't realise until I'd put the finish on. It's comfortable, but not very 'rock'. I plan to sand the shoulders down to get it more to a 'C' shape from a fat 'D' and refinish the neck.

As yours is a 7-string, it may well have a different profile, but best to check now and do any modifications you feel necessary before you start putting finish on. Taking off from the sides is fine, but try not to reduce the depth by more than 1mm (except where it thickens out at the heel), as you'll risk exposing the truss rod.

Thanks for the tips, Simon. I think I'm comfortable with how the neck feels and don't plan to modify besides basic sanding and staining. I thought it was a C shape at 12 inch radius, but whatever it is, I'm cool with it. I also play 5 and 4 string basses and have other two guitars with very different necks, so I don't mind as long as it's not bad.

After your previous comments, I feel at ease with the sloped fretboard and I'm thinking of how to go about the Floyd Rose cavity as that's beyond my limited woodworking experience. I don't want to wait any longer to start working on the piece (if I return it) but I don't want to mess it up - I think I'll pay someone to do a quick job.

PS. I've seen your comments in many other post and find you very supportive and knowledgeable. Thanks for helping all the young padawans in here

Talking with my dad, he recommended using a file to expand the Floyd Rose cavity if I wasn't very comfortable with the drill. It needed some patience but it was safer than shaking at the wrong moment. The result is not perfect but functional. It will be covered by the bridge itself and the cover plate on the back, so all good for now... Maybe a bit more sanding when I start the overall sanding.

I applied some timbermate maple colour, hoping it was going to be darker and highlight the grain, but it dried pink and after sanding, I didn't see much difference... that's better than looking bad

Now, I sanded down to 240 grit, still a bit rough but feels nice to touch, and applied two coats of Diggers Timber Oil Quicker Dry, which is some form of boiled linseed oil, but seems to dry superfast. I'm going for a rather natural colour. I feels dry to touch almost immediately, but there's still some smell coming from the wood, so I don't think is fully dry. I might have put two coats too close to each other, but I'm leaving it there a bit longer for the subsequent coats - I'm trying to work on the two dry days we have had in Melbourne between very rainy days.

I'm wondering how many coats should I apply before sanding to a finer grit and add more coats. I thought maybe a quick sand to the neck after these two, but maybe two more coats for the body? I'm a bit concerned about starting to sand over the veneer with too thin coats.

Note: these photos were taken after the first coat. It was a bit dark when I put the second coat, so I didn't take photos.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Front 2 coats.jpeg 
Views:	67 
Size:	647.2 KB 
ID:	43214   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Back 2 coats.jpeg 
Views:	64 
Size:	450.4 KB 
ID:	43215   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	headstock 2 coats.jpeg 
Views:	64 
Size:	670.0 KB 
ID:	43216   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Fretboard 2 coats.jpeg 
Views:	58 
Size:	458.9 KB 
ID:	43217   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Neck 2 coats.jpeg 
Views:	58 
Size:	530.9 KB 
ID:	43218  

Last edited by Juanito; 03-06-2022 at 08:31 AM.

10. Liked by: phrozin

I’ve never used that product so it’s hard to say, but assuming it’s similar to TruOil in the depth of finish each coat applies, then it depends on whether you want a satin or gloss finish. For satin, then 3-4 coats will protect the wood. For gloss, you’ll want a lot more coats in order to have enough depth to sand it flat and then polish it. For gloss, I’d do a first decent sand after maybe 6 coats. But if you notice dust on the finish after you’ve applied a coat, then let it dry and do a very light sand just to remove the dust.

But I don’t have a lot of experience with oil finishes, and your product may give thicker layers than TruOil. The more experience you have, the fewer layers you need to apply, but it’s better to be safe than sorry and have a thicker coat you can definitely sand flat and polish, than risk sanding through the finish.

12. Liked by: Juanito

Quote Originally Posted by Juanito View Post
    I applied some timbermate maple colour, hoping it was going to be darker and highlight the grain, but it dried pink and after sanding, I didn't see much difference... that's better than looking bad

Now, I sanded down to 240 grit, still a bit rough but feels nice to touch, and applied two coats of Diggers Timber Oil Quicker Dry, which is some form of boiled linseed oil, but seems to dry superfast. I'm going for a rather natural colour. I feels dry to touch almost immediately, but there's still some smell coming from the wood, so I don't think is fully dry. I might have put two coats too close to each other, but I'm leaving it there a bit longer for the subsequent coats - I'm trying to work on the two dry days we have had in Melbourne between very rainy days.

I'm wondering how many coats should I apply before sanding to a finer grit and add more coats. I thought maybe a quick sand to the neck after these two, but maybe two more coats for the body? I'm a bit concerned about starting to sand over the veneer with too thin coats.

Note: these photos were taken after the first coat. It was a bit dark when I put the second coat, so I didn't take photos.
    Thats a beautiful grain that will look real good when finished,

Simon your still the guru of all things guitar 👍

14. Liked by: Juanito

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast