Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: dye job oddity

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2022
    Location
    Racine WI US
    Posts
    5

    dye job oddity

    Evening everyone,

    Ben suggested I pose this questions here.
    I recently picked up 2 kits, a bass for me and a guitar for a buddy.

    His build is going a tad smoother than mine.

    I did a sand to 220 and I'm using Keda alcohol dye.
    As you can see in the pic there is an area that is just not taking stain

    I let it dry for a couple days and sanded everything back, in case I did a less than awesome job there.
    After the second coat there was no change

    The back, on the other hand, looks awesome after just one coat

    Any ideas or suggestions or thought on what is going on?

    Thanks

    John
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20220518_230120.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	233.9 KB 
ID:	43133  

  2. #2
    Overlord of Music dave.king1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Woonona by the sea
    Posts
    2,711
    It's probably glue, have you done a good wipe down with Goof Off

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2022
    Location
    Racine WI US
    Posts
    5
    I did not... I was worried that anything acetone based would melt the binding
    But I'll give it a shot

    Note: Goof Off MSDS is Acetone, Xylene, Ethylbenzene, Methanol, and Morpholine(Diethylene imidoxide)

  4. #4
    GAStronomist Simon Barden's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Location
    Reading, UK
    Posts
    10,049
    It may soften the binding slightly, but unless you are really soaking it in the stuff, it shouldn't be too much of an issue. I haven't heard of anyone having serious problems with the binding when using Goof Off on these forums. You can always mask the binding for a bit of extra protection.

    But you'll probably end up scraping and sanding the binding before applying a finish over it, so if it is slightly rough in places, I don't think it will be an issue.

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2022
    Location
    Racine WI US
    Posts
    5
    well I did 2 cleanings.. one with goof off and since my wife is a nail tech and I have access to pure acetone I used that as well

    sucked the color right out of the bonding but it was careful and quick so no worries there

    I let it dry for a couple of hours and here is the result
    as you can see that didn't help

    I also included a pic of the back for comparison

    what next?

    and thank you for your suggestions

    John
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20220520_125849.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	177.6 KB 
ID:	43134   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20220520_125822.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	227.1 KB 
ID:	43135  

  6. #6

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2022
    Location
    Racine WI US
    Posts
    5
    first coat when I took the first pic
    I sanded it back and stained again
    After the cleaning (goof off and acetone) there was one more stain

    so 3 in total
    The last pic posted was after the third stain

  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2022
    Location
    Racine WI US
    Posts
    5
    after just a little back and forth with Pitbull we both agreed there is something up with the face... Pitbull's solution is to send me a whole new kit.

    and to top it off they are encouraging me to finish the first kit and donate it
    so that is exactly what I'm gonna do... I have a buddy that does autobody work and he is going to do a dark spray finish and finish it up and donate it to one of the local high school kids

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •