Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Yet another JZ-6 Bass VI

Settled on just the Faction plate... hoping it'll be enough.

The E tuner hole is in a slightly better position in relation to the nut on this one vs the last one... so I am hoping the little extra from the Faction plate + that extra length with get me over the line and keep the full .100 part of the string off the tuner.

Also interesting... with the slightly different E tuner location, I measured a Kluson style split shaft tuner and it will actually fit on this guitar! I like them so much more than hole-in-the-middle tuners with their spiky left over string stabbers I better order some SD91's stat!

The first coat of purple has gone on. I am happy with the open grain look, but I think I must have failed to sand enough... because it looks like the paint itself has lifted some of the fibres. Hopefully it'll just need a light sand before the next coat.

The Liquitex spray is a water-based paint. I expect the first couple of coats will raise the grain a bit. Might be best to add the next coat before lightly sanding, then make sure it’s fully dry before spraying the third coat. The wood should hopefully be sealed by then and the grain should stay down.

Water based paint. SMH. Of course it raised the grain just like if I had done the old “run a wet cloth over it” trick.

I did another light coat… so tomorrow I’ll see if it’s dry enough to sand off the little sticky up bits. Hopefully I won’t lose too much purple if I do it lightly and carefully.

I kinda wish I had just stuck with hand painting. It was so much easier to do, hah.

I also need to try a test with spraying the Rust-Oleum Clear over that Liquitex to make sure nothing bad is gonna happen. If that’s not gonna work, I am not sure if it’ll be ok with no clear coat…

After sanding VERY lightly, I got it to a place that I was happy... very thinskin looking (and even the odd place where wood is slightly peeking through), but I really like it...

I also mocked it quickly with the parchment guard and the colour combo is dynamite.

So I have hit it with the first clear coat to see if that makes it look better or worse, haha. It's a satin clear, not a gloss, so I am hoping the vibe stays intact.

**fingers crossed**

Another quick mock up post clear coat.

This morning Melbourne graced me with just enough sunlight to get a couple clear coats on the neck. It just needs the "XIII VI" logo decal.

After the neck is dry enough for a light sand, the REAL work can begin (installing the hardware and neck, soldering the electronics, etc).

On the last one I just used the strings themselves as nut files. It was pretty tedious, but it did work. This time I am thinking of attempting to make a tool out of the strings... I saw a post mentioning super gluing the string to a popsicle stick... I might give it a go. It would certainly make it easier keeping the groove straight and at the right angle (strings are kinda bendier than files).

At least on this one I don't need to drill out the E string hole on the tremolo (since the Faction plate is made for Bass VI). I also won't need to drill out the control plate since I just bought a Jazz Bass plate that is already right for the full size pots I bought. It's not a 100% perfect fit to the pick guard, but it's certainly close enough.
    Last edited by tommycarlos; 31-05-2022 at 12:03 PM.

Looks great! I love the purple

The headstock is a great shape too. I'm happy you've been able to find a solution with the tuners. You're aware of my headaches with my VI project re: headstock and turners.

The bridge looks great too. I keep rolling the idea of replacing my bridge around in my head. My biggest motivator is to have all-black hardware, so It's not entirely necessary.

I'm interested to see how this build turns out! So happy you're back on the VI train.

How's your flop-factor with the strings? Are you able to compare it to that of a normal bass? I have 100 gauge strings on mine and....it's still a little floppy. Still not as ass-tastic as I was hoping. Play's great though. Tons of fun.
    We've stumbled upon a fin little niche, my friend.

PS: open grain, satin finish. A True Man of Culture. Very much dig it.

Yes, +1 to looking great. Nice colour combo.
    PitBull Builds: FVB-4, LP-1SS, FBM-1, AG-2, TB-4, SSCM-1, TLA-1, TL-1TB, STA-1HT, DSCM-1 Truckster, ST-1, STA-1, MBM-1.

Scratch Builds: Pine Explorer, Axe Bass, Mr Scary, Scratchy Tele's.

The little voices in my head keep telling me "build more guitars"

Thanks everyone.

So the latest update is... the SD91's came.. and they are "close enough". There is a tiny bit of overhang, but the screw should have plenty of headstock to hold onto:

I’ve had that issue before on a non-Fender headstock. I filed off the point on the tuner so it didn’t stick out. It also looks like the hole spacing is wider than vintage, so you’ll need bigger screws with wider tops to bridge the gap between the tuners. They are designed to butt up to one another. Again, something I had fitting them to a non-Fender neck.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast