Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6

Thread: Yet another JZ-6 Bass VI

That looks very cool!

Some guitar shops/luthiers can be very snooty over setting up a kit guitar. Some just refuse. Probably because a lot they see are badly assembled and require a lot more time to set up than their standard set-up fee allows.

Makes sense, but hah. Considering some of the Jazzmasters I have come across, this would be a delight to work on…

Small set up tweaks and strap buttons left, but the electronics are done.

It’s just one DiMarzio Virtual Vintage ‘54 in the neck (though it is wired like a jazz bass, so it could have another pick up later). The other two pickups in the guard are not connected and just there as hole fillers

Calling this one "done".

JZ-6 modified to be a Bass VI.

Mods include: .024 - .100 Fender Bass VI strings, a single DiMarzio Virtual Vintage '54 pickup in the neck, CTS pots, Switchcraft jack, paper-in-oil capacitor, cloth wiring, a Faction hardtail Bass VI plate, Gotoh SD91 kluson style split post tuners, Jazz Bass knobs and control plate, and a painted pick guard.

About the only hardware left from the kit is the bridge, the pick guard (painted), the string tree, and two pickups that aren't even wired up, just hole-fillers

It plays and sounds sooo good. I moved the Virtual Vintage '54 from the "bridge" to the neck in her sibling (the white one I made first) and now they are almost like non-identical twins. I can grab either one and they will sound the same. Perfect live back ups for each other, or "change is as good as a holiday" inspirational switch-ups.

Thanks SOOO much for everyone's help.. .especially when I thought I had blown it with the headstock crack/break.

Well done.

There is very little that can’t be repaired on a wooden guitar/bass. Sometimes it isn’t pretty without some major refinishing, but it works.

Next, maybe a Bass VI with three pickups in all the right places, which means some routing and making a pickguard.

Yeah, routing and pickguards are for sure the next thing I would need to learn. Though I am not really a "bridge pickup" kinda person (even my Squier only has the neck and middle positions since I upgraded to a set of Pure Vintage '65 Jag pickups). But I would really like my next build to be from something more... "blank".

Looks great. I really like the colour combo and the subtle grain texture.

Can't wait for the "blank" build.
    PitBull Builds: FVB-4, LP-1SS, FBM-1, AG-2, TB-4, SSCM-1, TLA-1, TL-1TB, STA-1HT, DSCM-1 Truckster, ST-1, STA-1, MBM-1.

Scratch Builds: Pine Explorer, Axe Bass, Mr Scary, Scratchy Tele's.

The little voices in my head keep telling me "build more guitars"

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6