Thread: And so it begins, HB-4S build

And so it begins, HB-4S build

Received this little beauty yesterday and just did the inventory and a quick layout to get an idea of how it will look.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	HB-4s.jpg 
Views:	86 
Size:	179.8 KB 
ID:	43068
    Trying to decide on what color to stain it. I've narrowed it down to cherry red or pumpkin orange. Well anyway, since this is my first build, I think the hardest part for me will be taking my time and getting it right.

G'day & welcome to the first time HB-4 builders' club! I've just begun planning my own HB-4, also my first build which I've dubbed "The Hobbit" - as it was an unexpected gift, I'm still figuring out my roadmap. BTW, I have a son living in Copake Falls, NY, who we're looking forward to visiting later this year.

Peter

Hi and welcome.

My own opinion is that spalted tops work best with the minimum of alteration. Either no stain and just a clear finish, or a very light amber stain. Too much colour and you hide the effect of the spalt. I’ve seen a few spalt top guitars on here with quite strong/dark colours and the spalt effect is greatly reduced.

Of course it all depends in how much you value the spalt look and whether you bought that version for the spalt or mainly because it was available. It’s your bass, so please do what you want with it. Just trying to give you something to think about before you commit yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by Simon Barden View Post
    Hi and welcome.

My own opinion is that spalted tops work best with the minimum of alteration. Either no stain and just a clear finish, or a very light amber stain. Too much colour and you hide the effect of the spalt. I’ve seen a few spalt top guitars on here with quite strong/dark colours and the spalt effect is greatly reduced.

Of course it all depends in how much you value the spalt look and whether you bought that version for the spalt or mainly because it was available. It’s your bass, so please do what you want with it. Just trying to give you something to think about before you commit yourself.
    Thank you, you make a very valid point. Looking closer at the pattern of my bass, I can see were a darker stain could hide the more subtle characteristics of the spalt pattern. I'll be giving more thought to a lighter stain.

Quote Originally Posted by bassdude View Post
    G'day & welcome to the first time HB-4 builders' club! I've just begun planning my own HB-4, also my first build which I've dubbed "The Hobbit" - as it was an unexpected gift, I'm still figuring out my roadmap. BTW, I have a son living in Copake Falls, NY, who we're looking forward to visiting later this year.

Peter
    G'day Peter. I've been checking out your's and the other HB-4 builds for ideas while I was waiting for mine to arrive. Small world, Copake Falls is about 4 hours east of me, pretty country. I hope you enjoy your visit.

Dee

Hi and welcome Dmac,

+1 for a light stain on the spalted maple. The back and sides would still look good with red or orange as a contrast to the front.
    PitBull Builds: FVB-4, LP-1SS, FBM-1, AG-2, TB-4, SSCM-1, TLA-1, TL-1TB, STA-1HT, DSCM-1 Truckster, ST-1, STA-1, MBM-1.

Scratch Builds: Pine Explorer, Axe Bass, Mr Scary, Scratchy Tele's.

The little voices in my head keep telling me "build more guitars"

Quote Originally Posted by DMac View Post
    G'day Peter. I've been checking out your's and the other HB-4 builds for ideas while I was waiting for mine to arrive. Small world, Copake Falls is about 4 hours east of me, pretty country. I hope you enjoy your visit.

Dee
    Last summer maybe Labor Day weekend they were in your area, exploring around Watkins Glen. Maybe we'll get to see some finger lakes while we're in the neighbourhood!

Peter

Sent from my CPH2197 using Tapatalk