Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: DJT-1 wiring drama

DJT-1 wiring drama

Hey forum,

I have built a DJT-1, got a nice TV Yellow finish and set everything up and went to plug in and nothing…

I have gone back and rewired it a bunch of times. But can’t work out what I have done wrong. This is my 5th build (so I know what I’m doing), but cannot work it out. I swapped out the pickups it came with for some Nocasters, but didn’t think that would be a problem.

I have wired it up as it came, the traditional 50s way and the modern wiring way. I took apart and tested each part of the circuit, checked for any unintentional grounding. I then thought maybe a faulty part, so bought a new 3 way switch and 2 new pots and installed them, then rewired them both ways (50s style and modern) and still nothing but buzz.

I have checked wiring diagrams, even pulled out the harness off my USA Fender Tele to check that and it is all the same.

I don’t pretend to be an expert at wiring, but I figure I have had no issues with the others (including MK2 and FBM-1). I am getting nothing but lots of buzz when I touch any part of the wiring or the bridge piece.

Please help! What am I missing!
    Last edited by ash-team; 28-04-2022 at 04:02 PM.

https://imgur.com/a/mvMbyoQ

Here are some pics of the modern wiring and the original wiring I did. Can post some more of the current set up with the new pots and switch but it’s the same wiring.

I also did the 50s wiring with the resistor and capacitor on the switch. No dice!

The switch is not wired correctly. You have lugs linked like it was a CRL-type lever switch.
    The internal routing of the "import-style" switch is different.

Try this diagram for a tele with 8-lug import switch:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Tele 8 lug imp sw.jpeg 
Views:	76 
Size:	103.2 KB 
ID:	43007
    Making the world a better place; one guitar at a time...

Thanks mate I saw your previous advice in another thread on this. I had tried the initial wiring that came with the switch and put in both sets of pickups using that wiring. Then after I saw your comments on this in another thread I rewired for the import switch. Still no dice.

So then I bought a new 3 way fender switch and replaced the import and tried wiring it again and no dice.
    Last edited by ash-team; 28-04-2022 at 04:34 PM.

I have it currently wired under Broadcaster wiring diagram. But have down modern Tele and Nocasters recommended wiring using these same new pots and switch. Still just buzz.

The volume pot - the ground tab is bent back but not actually soldered to the pot casing. Definitely solder that.

Just buzz, no sound from the strings.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast