Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: HB-4 The Hobbit

The neckplate has arrived. However, it's apparent there's not enough width in the neck to accommodate threaded inserts as I'd hoped. I do like the look and idea of it, though. I guess the best compromise would be to glue the neck as standard and just attach the plate with screws rather than bolt-on. Going for the aesthetic rather than function.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Beatles.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	183.5 KB 
ID:	43165

Peter

A question for those with completed HB-4 builds:

The most obvious neck strap button position is on the neck heel. Is there any tendency for neck dive on the HB-4?

Peter

Quote Originally Posted by bassdude View Post
    A question for those with completed HB-4 builds:

The most obvious neck strap button position is on the neck heel. Is there any tendency for neck dive on the HB-4?

Peter
    My HB4 has a tendency to neck dive a bit. After watching other approaches to solving this I ended up just using a thin strap and threading it underneath the tailpiece. I used the buttons in the usual places and this solution has worked pretty well.

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by jimmyedson View Post
    My HB4 has a tendency to neck dive a bit. After watching other approaches to solving this I ended up just using a thin strap and threading it underneath the tailpiece. I used the buttons in the usual places and this solution has worked pretty well.

Jim
    Thanks for chiming in, Jim. I considered the possibility and found one solution here (https://www.talkbass.com/threads/hea...2-etc.1304234/). Thinking that a little untidy for this build, I've been keeping an eye out for similar strap extension bracket solutions. In Supercheap Auto this week I happened to spy this mini hacksaw with a difference. I've only ever seen these with a moulded plastic handle, but here is the same tool with two metal side casings and a plastic filler. It dawned on me that ripping out the rivets would leave me with a suitably shaped bracket and the crease/dog-leg in the middle would conveniently allow one (the skinny) end to be inset into the neck heel and subsequently buried within the neck-body mounting. The exposed piece could use some shaping, depending on its strength. The whole tool is quite lightweight and possibly aluminium, so I wouldn't want to weaken/reduce it too much if that's so. Will see what I find when I deconstruct. I'm seriously going to consider this. Nothing lost if this $12 trial feels too flimsy, will keep my eye out for alternative solutions.

Edited: Good news is, though light, the metal is pleasantly stiff and will be suitable for purpose I believe. In 3rd pic I've marked a rough idea of how I'll shape the extension.

Name:	StrapExt1.jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	171.5 KB 
ID:	43166

Name:	StrapExt3.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	141.8 KB 
ID:	43167

Name:	StrapExt4.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	289.4 KB 
ID:	43168

Peter
    Last edited by bassdude; 26-05-2022 at 12:53 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2