Thread: An unexpected journey

An unexpected journey

G'day from Wollongong, NSW!
    I've been playing bass since, well, 45 years ago! My first bass was an Aria solid-body violin bass which, alas, was stolen from its storage room a few years later, never to be seen again. Practically all my musical life has been spent playing church worship music. I spent quite a while playing an Ibanez Musician, until I acquired an Ashton 5 string AB-1505 nearly 20 years ago. 5 strings is all I've played since. Then in 2014 I got a Godin A5 Ultra SA & got it defretted (by a luthier), as I was more comfortable for my first fretless to be lined. It's about all I've played the last 8 years! Except for the Aria, I still own the rest of the crew :-)

My unexpected journey began last week, Easter Monday 18/4, when my brother Vic rocked up with a Pit Bull HB-4 kit under his arm. My lockdown 60th last Aug was necessarily uneventful, until my 3 older brothers conspired to get me this HB-4 (#136), reputedly as a long overdue replacement for my long gone first axe! Happy Birthday indeed!!

Needless to say, I've not planned this build nor had much of a chance to get my head around what it all entails. Expecting a long, slow ride as I explore the possibilities and build up a picture of what might lie ahead.

Thanks for joining in & hopefully for all the guidance I'll be needing along the way!

Cheers, Peter.

PS. A previous build project was a fEARful 15/6/1-tube (with True 3-way crossover) that I completed back in 2016.
    PPS. I've stumbled upon a likely name for this unexpected build - stay tuned for The Hobbit build thread.
    PPPS. A few ideas that have been thrashing around in my mind (no particular order):

- Would love to do some sort of sunburst finish on the flame maple top
    - Standard bridge came with the kit I received. Is there a piezo bridge option available?
    - (query re- scale length removed - obviously neck dictates the answer, 30" it is!)
    - I've read that adding a 5th string to a hollow-body violin bass of the HB-4 style will place undue stress on the body due to added tension. Even so, for the HB-4 is there a 5-string tailpiece option (thinking Steinberger Narrow-5 style, at least as regards width)? And obviously space for a 5th machine head also presents a problem, but I think it can be done.
    - Is it possible to obtain a piece of flame maple veneer (min 165x85mm would suffice) in the same thickness as the body veneer? It could be glued to the head for matching the body sunburst.

Just exploring possibilities for this unexpected journey that landed on my doorstep
    Last edited by bassdude; 16-05-2022 at 09:54 AM.

Welcome Peter.
    Making the world a better place; one guitar at a time...

G'day Peter,

I'm just up the road from the Gong in Woonona and also a bass player from forever.

Welcome and enjoy the build

Regards
    Dave

Welcome Peter, nice present. Good luck with the build.
    PitBull Builds: FVB-4, LP-1SS, FBM-1, AG-2, TB-4, SSCM-1, TLA-1, TL-1TB, STA-1HT, DSCM-1 Truckster, ST-1, STA-1, MBM-1.

Scratch Builds: Pine Explorer, Axe Bass, Mr Scary, Scratchy Tele's.

The little voices in my head keep telling me "build more guitars"

Quote Originally Posted by dave.king1 View Post
    G'day Peter,

I'm just up the road from the Gong in Woonona and also a bass player from forever.

Welcome and enjoy the build

Regards
    Dave
    Thanks Dave. Technically I'm using the (Greater) Wollongong in my sig, and actually live in Farmborough Hts. In my younger days I was a Corrimal High boy, while my next older brother was at Woonona High (Yr 12 at least). It's confusing, but just a consequence of our family's relocation to the 'Gong at that time from the North Coast (Wauchope High) & the availability of electives for Vic to finish his HSC with minimal interruption. What does your bass arsenal consist of?

Peter

G'day Peter,

I have a Yamaha SB-30 with the original pickup replaced with a 1970 Fender mudbucker bass pickup 32" scale
    A Pitbull PBH-4 ( or is that PB-4H ) tuned BEAD ( GFS pickups & hi mass bridge )
    A Samick Corsair CR-13 30" scale

I also have a small herd of guitars
    Shergold Custom Masquarader, got it new and have had it 46 years and counting
    Squier CSV Thinline with blackguard pickups
    Pitbull TL with Tonerider Hot Classics
    Pitbull ST with Tonerider Vintage Classics
    Another T style kit with vintage Schaller HBs and tuned as a baritone

A Marina acoustic that my brother left with me

A violin that I've had for 50 years from back when I was studying it, haven't played it since the late 1970s so I hate to think of what I might sound like now.

A number of now priceless Fender guitars and basses have also passed through my hands over the years

Played professionally until 1982 when family came along and gave it away completely, only picked up a guitar again in 2009

You can head down to this thread and read the history of many of us and maybe make a contribution of your own
    https://www.buildyourownguitar.com.a...ead.php?t=7291

The roots thread is a fun read, Dave. I just added my own contribution https://www.buildyourownguitar.com.a...l=1#post221409

Peter

9. Liked by: dave.king1

Here's my current go to rig. Cab is a tip-o-the-hat to Sir Jack Brabham. Does that make it play faster?! If I ever get around to completing my fEARful stack with a 12/6/1 one day, it can only be #12!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	rig.jpg 
Views:	111 
Size:	304.4 KB 
ID:	43090

Peter
    Last edited by bassdude; 21-05-2022 at 10:15 PM.

I met Sir Jack in Adelaide quite some years ago when he was patron at Classic Adelaide.

Nice guy and very accommodating but difficult to have a conversation with because of his industrial deafness

12. Liked by: bassdude