Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6

Thread: Lefty ES-1GL

Hi Jarro,

What part is the broken screw from?

I have had some screws break on me also - very frustrating.
    For one I was able to remove the threaded part with pliers,
    for another (which broke quite deep and could not be removed with pliers) I had to shift the whole bridge slightly back,
    and for another (for a pup surround I think) I actually just CA glued the head part onto the top of the surround (as it was not under a lot of stress and the surround still sat flat on the body top).

EDIT: also, do you use bees wax on the screws before you put them in?
    Last edited by Trevor Davies; 24-07-2022 at 12:44 PM.
    PitBull Builds: FVB-4, LP-1SS, FBM-1, AG-2, TB-4, SSCM-1, TLA-1, TL-1TB, STA-1HT, DSCM-1 Truckster, ST-1, STA-1, MBM-1.

Scratch Builds: Pine Explorer, Axe Bass, Mr Scary, Scratchy Tele's.

The little voices in my head keep telling me "build more guitars"

It was the anti rotation screw on a tuner, I just turned it too far after it was tight. I didn't use bees wax for this one. It has broken off right at the wood, so pliers can't reach it.

Quote Originally Posted by jarro_2783 View Post
    It was the anti rotation screw on a tuner, I just turned it too far after it was tight. I didn't use bees wax for this one. It has broken off right at the wood, so pliers can't reach it.
    Had a similar thing happen to me.
    Very fine drill bit either side of the broken screw then use fine tipped pliers to wiggle out the broken bit.
    I then back filled with similar colour timber mate and drilled and put in a new screw.
    Always best to use wax on the screws as they are quite weak. If you don't have any wax, stick them into a cake of soap - it has the same effect as the wax.

I was thinking something like that, and maybe drill wider and plug it with dowel if I have to.

I'll use the bees wax on everything just to be on the safe side I think.

Thanks.

Generally the screws supplied with these kits are not particularly good quality.
    They may look the part but you have to be very careful fitting them.
    For my last guitar I bought some higher grade screws from Bunnings. They don't look quite the same, but nobody is going to notice that from the normal performing distance.

Definitely replace all those tuner screws with stainless ones. The kit ones are just plated pot metal and even if you do drill a pilot hole that’s only just smaller than the thread diameter, there’s still a good chance that screwing into hard maple, the head will shear off or the slots round off so much you can’t tighten further or remove it.

All finished.

The plugged hole ended up pretty good, and the tuner covers most of it anyway. Although that maple wood filler looks nothing like maple.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6