Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Lefty ES-1GL

Some sage advice from McCreed above, those divots need to be sanded out. I would certainly recommend at least 4 weeks drying time. Just out of curiosity how many coats of poly did you wipe on? (I don’t think I’ve ever stopped before 40 coats).

I lost count, at least 20, maybe around 30.

Depending on how many layers of poly are on there , it might be worth sanding back and adding more coats. Repeat until level. You don’t want to accidentally sand all the way back to wood as the pits look quite deep(?).

Yeah I thought of that, I did discover along the way that a few extra coats of poly can cover some blemishes.

Would you wait another 4 weeks after adding more layers to sand again?

Currently it’s in a polished state. I’d give it a sand to give the next layers some key to grip to and start layering again.

Edit: I would give it at least a week before wet sanding between layers. Wait at least 4 weeks before final sanding and polish in my opinion.

I had a bit of a sand to see what happened, it's definitely different on the sandpaper, more like a fine powder now, and it doesn't get gummed up.

I had a bit of a disaster though, the neck was sitting on my bench and I think condensation from the roof has been dripping down and now I have a crack in the fretboard. Any help would be appreciated.

Nasty.

If it was mine, I’d let it dry out thoroughly, then run some thin CA into the cracks. Mask off the surrounding area as much as possible. Once it’s dry, I’d then scrape the board flat with a single-sided razor blade.

If you had any more rosewood, then you could sand that to make some fine dust and try packing that in the crack first, but it’s not a wide crack, so would only have a minimal cosmetic effect.

Others might have different suggestions.

And I’d bring it back inside the house once you finish work on it each day if it’s that cold and damp in the garage.

What's CA? I tested that I can pull it together with a clamp. Would trying to get glue in there be a good idea at all?

Cyanoacrylate. AKA Super Glue. Easier typing CA!

It will fill in the gap and should stop it widening.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast