Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: SG Junior

Update: Front almost completely sanded back, plugged the holes with a larger patch which of course chipped out when drilling the new holes!!! At least I'm getting good experience at patching holes.. will now need to see if I can get the colour to hide the patches.

I had to put it together just to see what it would look like and make sure I got the alignment correct this time. String height was a little high, but I'm hoping I can bring that down with sanding the nut lower and tightening the truss rod (fair amount of bow from the string tension), otherwise I'll have to grind the bridge which will be an experiment.

Intonation was actually pretty close, so that's finally a positive!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4913.jpg 
Views:	75 
Size:	73.9 KB 
ID:	43041  

Looking for feedback... I've re-stained the front, patched up the additional damage I caused in the back, starting on my home brewed finish (equal parts oil based poly, boiled linseed oil and metho) and it's starting to build up a slight sheen on the front - although being a satin poly maybe I shouldn't expect too much.

BUT...

I'm not sure this is going well, the patches are now sticking out like the proverbial back end of a dog The colour is now what I was looking for originally (assuming it will probably darken the more finish I put on it) but it doesn't match the rest of the guitar which has faded considerably.

Thoughts at this stage:

- Stick with the program, keep applying finish and wait and see what I get.

- Sand the whole thing back, get black india ink and stain it so darkly you won't see the patches, then finish with either the oil, or just the polyurethane?

- Sand the whole thing back, buy some duplicolour from super cheap like https://www.supercheapauto.com.au/p/...00503#start=14

Oh, I did manage to finish the truss rod cover and backplate, meranti finished with some shellac and dingowax.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4923.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	100.7 KB 
ID:	43079  

...starting on my home brewed finish (equal parts oil based poly, boiled linseed oil and metho...
    I hope you mean mineral turps and not methylated spirits.
    Making the world a better place; one guitar at a time...

Oh. Add that to the failure list. I knew they were different but given it is a thinning agent I figured it would be ok.

Quote Originally Posted by geoffro View Post
    Oh. Add that to the failure list. I knew they were different but given it is a thinning agent I figured it would be ok.
    Yeah, that will generally end badly. Oil based polyurethane need (as well as boiled linseed oil) need to be thinned with turps (mineral turpentine). Mixing poly with methylated spirits will make it go cloudy and it may even get gluggy.
    Making the world a better place; one guitar at a time...

Quote Originally Posted by McCreed View Post
    Yeah, that will generally end badly. Oil based polyurethane need (as well as boiled linseed oil) need to be thinned with turps (mineral turpentine). Mixing poly with methylated spirits will make it go cloudy and it may even get gluggy.
    Yep makes sense, further research tells me there is water in metho which won’t work well with the oil bases poly and BLO (major facefalm). Thanks McCreed

Well I don’t know if it’s the screw up with the metho or something else but the guitar got really sticky - even the neck which had only tru-oil. Anyhoo. I’ve done my best to sand off the finish, used some mahogany timber mate to try and grain fill and reapplied the stain coat and I’m hoping this will even out the finish. Ordered a new bottle of tru-oil and will give it another go.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2