Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Another scratch build.

Bugger!

What doesn’t kill us, etc.

Man that sux! Good that you can take it in stride... I was looking forward to the rest of the build

Thx. Yeah, it’s a real pain in the ****. However, as I said I’ve been lucky up to now. And no-one to blame other than user error.

To be continued…..

Ok. after a bit of a gap i'm back in the game. Bought a piece of maple for a new neck. It seemed easier, due to the lengths supplied, to get 1.8 metres, so it seemed silly not to get enough and make two necks. So that's what I did. I also bought some Sapele and some poplar which was floating around their bin ends in order to make another body to go with the extra neck. I mean why not!

I won't bore everyone with the whole neck making blog again. Cut it in half, routed the truss rod, shaped it from the template and glued the board on and shaped that too. Radiussed it..

... and then we are back to where we were.

The other neck is a little behind, waiting for the board to be glued on.

So, next to measure and cut the fret slots. Definitely getting better at this as it's getting easier and slightly quicker.

Then to carve the neck...

As before, using the Shinto rasp, take both ends down to the required depth (not quite) and then join up. Then divide the sides in half and keep carving the edges until it's round. I found the surform a lot easier and more effective than the Shinto rasp and gives a straighter result.

Ultimately we end up with this after a bit of sanding.

Next task is to do the fretboard markers and the side dots, then bang the frets in. Hoping I'll get a chance this weekend (waiting for the frets to arrive). If not then I'll press on with the other neck.

Nice work.

Weather is fine for my spraying now, but I imagine a bit warm for workshop duties!

That fetboard looks killer. I'm surprised you managed to get such a short length of maple. Shortest I can get from my supplier is 3m+. After gluing up 2 neckthrough basses there's enough left for a 3rd with some change and 2 body halves (or 2 bookmatched tops).

It seemed easier, due to the lengths supplied, to get 1.8 metres, so it seemed silly not to get enough and make two necks.
    I like the way you think!
    I'm now just living vicariously through others' builds... so carry on!
    Making the world a better place; one guitar at a time...

Quote Originally Posted by Rabbit View Post
    That fetboard looks killer. I'm surprised you managed to get such a short length of maple. Shortest I can get from my supplier is 3m+. After gluing up 2 neckthrough basses there's enough left for a 3rd with some change and 2 body halves (or 2 bookmatched tops).
    They seem to do it in 900mm lengths and it was cheaper to get 1.8 metres. It's the UK so I guess hardwood is not in such great supply.

The fretboard is panga panga. I think it looks quite nice and is not too expensive. I've just glued a maple fretboard to the other neck so I'll see how that turns out. I'm always a little puzzled of what to finish a maple fretboard in. I like them glossy but that means spraying it I guess.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast