Thread: Clear Dingotone

Clear Dingotone

I've been surprised to read of people's bad results with Dingotone, I've done two builds previously (one outback sunrise/set and the other black) and they both seemed to dry just fine.

Anyway.

Ive just bought a pack of the clear Dingotone with the idea to use it over a dye to bring out the grain. My thought was to use something like a very watered down acrylic purple, so it's just a very very merest tinge of purple and then use the clear Dingotone over the top of finish it....

Is this insane?

For those playing at home, this was not insane and actually worked pretty well. I'd post a picture, but I can't work out how to do that from my phone.

The size restrictions on picture hosting by the forum mean that any phone photo is going to be far too large, so you’ll need to resize it so it’s 1500 pixels or less on its longest size. I have an app on my phone to do this. I use ‘Resize It’ which works but isn’t that intuitive IMO but there are others. If you use Tapatalk to access the forum, picture resizing is a built-in option.

Quote Originally Posted by decibelboy View Post
    I've been surprised to read of people's bad results with Dingotone, I've done two builds previously (one outback sunrise/set and the other black) and they both seemed to dry just fine.

Anyway.

Ive just bought a pack of the clear Dingotone with the idea to use it over a dye to bring out the grain. My thought was to use something like a very watered down acrylic purple, so it's just a very very merest tinge of purple and then use the clear Dingotone over the top of finish it....

Is this insane?
    Welcome sir I think people don't know how to stain or dye correctly, I wouldn't blame the product as you can use so many different products from guitar dye to leather dye to clothes dye. Dingo tone tests it before he sells it if you don't do it right you can end up blotchy to too thick and lose the grain there is a lot of different theory of doing it here its easy to mess up

As far as I’m aware Dingotone is a home-made coloured finish using ‘natural’ non-toxic products, not a simple stain/dye. It seems to be very unstable and likely to not harden if the conditions aren’t just right or if it does, it can decompose over time. It is not a well-researched stain/dye made using well-researched standard processes.

So even if you are well versed with standard dyes/stains, I think you’d still struggle to get consistent results with Dingotone.