Thread: Colour rubbing off

Colour rubbing off

Hi everybody

I’m working on an SG junior and surprise surprise it’s going to be karijini red, Ive put on the stain and intensifier coats and then went on to the final coat but the red colour is still coming off.

I rubbed the whole guitar down with a rag before applying the final coat and a lot of colour came off, but even applying the final coat it got to the point where the fabric I was using was completely red by the end of applying the first coat.

Is this normal or do I need to let it dry out for longer before continuing?

Any help would be appreciated. Guitar is hung in my shed in mid 20s daytime temps. It has been humid at times not sure if that’s relevant.

Thanks
    Geoff

Hi geoffro,

Has the final coat made a mess of the stain coats? If not I would not be too concerned. I think some stain particles naturally just sit on the surface of the wood and will attach onto the cloth with the first rubbed on final coat.

I do not use the DT final coats as I have had problems with it drying. But rubbing on tru-oil final coats also gets a lot of the stain onto the cloth. Lately I have been adding my first 2 coats of tru-oil with a paint brush - but DO NOT do this with DT final coats.

EDIT: PS every SG fan needs a cherry red.
    Last edited by Trevor Davies; 14-04-2022 at 11:30 AM.
    PitBull Builds: FVB-4, LP-1SS, FBM-1, AG-2, TB-4, SSCM-1, TLA-1, TL-1TB, STA-1HT, DSCM-1 Truckster, ST-1, STA-1, MBM-1.

Scratch Builds: Pine Explorer, Axe Bass, Mr Scary, Scratchy Tele's.

The little voices in my head keep telling me "build more guitars"

Don't know much about the Dingotone stains, as we can't get them up here. But the water-based dyes I've been using were coming off on the rag pretty badly. I put a couple of light coats of spray-on poly to hold the color as I applied the clear coats. Good luck, geoffro. We're looking forward to seeing how it turns out.

I have heard about this happening and was warned against using the final coat because of this. I would wipe as much as you can off the guitar then give it a light sand. Try letting it dry again and finish it with True Oil.

My first build was finished with DT. It was the Uluru stain. The 2nd intensifier coat took forever to dry. I ended up doing what I said earlier. Even after leaving it for a week I could still rub colour off, worse on the end grain. Tru Oil sorted it out.

Thanks all for the advice. I’ve rubbed it back with a rag and then gave it a going over with 400 grit sandpaper and now working on putting tru-oil finish coats on. I’ll start a build thread to show progress if interested