Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Buffing

Buffing

Hi all, I have colour coated and oiled my body and neck, and have wet sanded to 2000 Grit with wet and dry paper. I'm now wondering which buff compound to use to get it to shine. It's already very smooth but there is small swirl marks that you cant even feel, would t cut scratch remover be too much? I'm in the UK if that's any help. Many thanks

Hi all, I have colour coated and oiled my body and neck, and have wet sanded to 2000 Grit with wet and dry paper.
    Can you elaborate on what finish materials you used?

"Colour coated and oiled" doesn't tell us much and makes it harder to advise. Is it Lacquer? Polyurethane? Tru Oil? Linseed Oil?
    Making the world a better place; one guitar at a time...

It is stained with wood stain and oiled with oil from crimson guitars. Wasn't aware different finishes would affect which compound to use.

Quote Originally Posted by Micthedic View Post
    It is stained with wood stain and oiled with oil from crimson guitars. Wasn't aware different finishes would affect which compound to use.
    Yes & no...
    When you just said "oiled" it's a pretty broad term. There are drying oils and there are non-drying oils, which is why I asked for clarification. There is a lot of misinformation and confusion about what manufacturers label as "____ oil".

I have no experience with the Crimson products, so wouldn't be comfortable advising you. It might be worth emailing them directly since they're the manufacturer. They website doesn't offer any info as to what is in the "oil" other than it does contain EMK and white sprit.

I have tried, i must admit their customer service isn't the best for replies.

It is quite well dried, and wet sanded up nice, I just wanted to give it a buff to take out the swirl marks. From what i understand Alot of the Compounds are different grades and some will take off more oil. I think Il just try the finest one and hope it does the job

Quote Originally Posted by Micthedic View Post
    I have tried, i must admit their customer service isn't the best for replies.

It is quite well dried, and wet sanded up nice, I just wanted to give it a buff to take out the swirl marks. From what i understand Alot of the Compounds are different grades and some will take off more oil. I think Il just try the finest one and hope it does the job
    Sounds like a good conservative approach. How many coats did you apply?

Just curious, is there list of of ingredients on the bottle? The website says a MSDS is available "on request" so they're not giving anything away there.

Up here in the northern hemi, the most popular cutting compound seems to be Meguiar's Ultimate Compound. Then Meguiar's Ultimate Polish for the final shine. Don't know whether it is available to you, or compatible with the Crimson oil finish.

8. Liked by: Micthedic

+1 for Crimson Guitars service being a little inconsistent.

I asked a pretty straightforward question (I thought) about application of their stain. I think it took a couple of weeks (and a follow up email) to get a response. But they were quicker to respond to a question about the cost of postage.

10. Liked by: Micthedic

I applied the finishing oil first, around 6 coats, very thin, and then around 12 coats of the high build oil, and it came up very nice, then I let it cure for months, and now I wet sanded it and its assmooth as I would like, just did 1500 then 2000,my tcut fine compound arrived yesterday so I will update on how it goes. It just has some very minor scratches that you cant even feel so I'm hopeful.

Also mccreed, no list of ingredients on bottle. I think he's quite protective of it because he Had It formulated for himself as a version of tru oil I believe, could have misunderstood though

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast