Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Glue alternatives for set neck

Glue alternatives for set neck

I recently bought an ES-1GL, but the glue wasn't on the order page and I forgot to add some.
    It seems like everyone uses titebond, but there is nowhere near me that sells it, so I would have to order more than I need for postage that costs more than the glue.
    Are there other alternatives? Especially something I can get from Bunnings? It sounds like PVA is not good enough, I'm not sure what gorilla glue is either.

I buy Titebond 2 from Carbatec - try checking their delivery cost as it should be under $10 postage generally.

If you only need a small amount Pitbull sells glue - see https://www.pitbullguitars.com/shop/...eck-glue-10ml/
    Last edited by jimmyedson; 03-04-2022 at 09:28 AM.

Yeah I found titebond at carbatec for 6.95 for a 250ml bottle plus 9.95 postage. Pitbull will charge me postage too for the 3.50 tube. So I was just wondering if there were any other options that I could go to a shop and get without the postage.

Same boat, following

Sent from my 2201117SG using Tapatalk

I'm pretty sure all you'll find at Bunnings is PVA.

Don't know where you are in Sydney but, Total Tools stocks Titebond and they have shops all over the place.
    Another avenue would be hobby stores. They often carry "aliphatic resin glues" (which is what Titebond is) for wooden model builders.

FTR, it's not that you can't use a PVA, it will just be harder to remove the neck if you should ever need to. It has a slightly stronger bond than aliphatic resin glues. It also has different working characteristics, like "drip" and "slip". PVA will certainly have the strength to hold a neck, no doubt.
    Making the world a better place; one guitar at a time...

Titebond II is also a PVA (according to their web site). As for finding cheap glue , it kinda depends on your location. I know that some timber merchants stock it. Timbercon stocks it. I get mine from Carbatec. There's one directly opposite the bike path that runs past the end of my street, so I pick it up directly from there. There are other "yellow glues"I have seen at other hardware stores. The white PVA glues like Aquadhere sold at the big green shed is still quite strong. We found it stands up to wood turning.

Titebond II is also a PVA (according to their web site).
    That's a good point Rabbit.
    There are several variants of Titebond, and the one that's recommended by guitar makers is the "Original" and is indeed aliphatic resin glue.

So it turns out that Sydney Tools has titebond, and they have stores in quite a few places.
    My local one only has the 473ml in stock, but it's only $13, so I figure that's pretty good.

My local one only has the 473ml in stock, but it's only $13, so I figure that's pretty good.
    You know what that means????

You have to build more guitars!

(I'm pretty sure that's a law now)
    Last edited by McCreed; 19-04-2022 at 02:28 PM.

10. Liked by: Rabbit

Apparently this stuff is very hard to get, because it isn't in stock at my local store, and the 237ml bottle is not sold anywhere.
    However, I found it on ebay, so I'll eat the postage cost and get the smaller bottle. I'll have to build more guitars, but not as many as the 485ml

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast