Thread: Wilkinson Big Block Strat Trem

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Wilkinson Big Block Strat Trem

I got a "Wilkinson 52.5mm (2-1/16 inch) Vintage Style Full Block ST Guitar Tremolo Bridge Pop-In Arm 6 Screws" from Amazon. It's nicer than the kit bridge/trem, with a much heavier block, but the kit trem and the Wilkinson are the only ones I have had so all I can really say about the overall quality is that it seems OK. Nothing really special, but just fine.

With one exception: The six screw it came with TERRIBLE. Three of them broke off when I tried to drive them into the ash body of my daughter's build. With the first one, I thought the screw was defective, but there was enough of it left for me to get it out with pliers. When it happened with the 2nd one, I thought I might have drilled too small a hole too small, so I increased the size of the hole. Then when the third one...it's clearly the screws.

I am generally a strong advocate of throwing away kit screws for pretty much all components and replacing them with stainless steel screws. I did not realize that I needed to put Wilkinson in the "kit screw" category.

I have had really good luck with Sung-Il bridges. I knew that they build some bridges for Wilkinson and thought that Wilkinson would be similar quality. The strat bridge I received, however, was not made in Korea like the Sung-Ils. They were made in China. That's not bad in-and-of-itself...but this bridge is not the same quality as the Korean made bridges I have gotten from Sung-Il.
    Last edited by fender3x; 02-04-2022 at 12:10 AM.