Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: New Build, DJB-4 Bass

For the shielding to be effective you will need to have continuity between the bridge p/u cavity and the neck p/u & control cavities. You'll also want to shield the back of the pickguard as well. No need to do the control plate as it's steel and already conductive.
    NOTE: even if the pickguard came with silver paper shielding on it, I still apply copper tape over it because I find the silver paper inadequate (JMO).

You can achieve continuity between cavities and pickguard by running more shielding tape over the edge of the neck/control cavities* so they make contact with the pickguards shielding tape. I like to use the pickguard screw holes as contact points to assure a good solid connection.

To get connectivity between the bridge p/u cavity and the control cavity (since no pickguard) is by running a length of wire from one to the other through the p/u lead hole and soldering directly to the copper tape.

*The shielding doesn't have to extend beyond the lip of the cavity all the way around, but the more points of contact the better. Personally, I overrun the shielding as much as can unless it may be visible, like your bridge p/u cavity.
    Making the world a better place; one guitar at a time...

Thanks, yeah I am going to run the wire between the 2 cavities when I wire up the guitar. I haven't done the back of the pickup guard, put plan to do so.

3. Liked by: McCreed

Got it all put together and it's playing quite well. Still gotta make a few adjustments, fret level, etc....but super happy with the way it turned out.

5. Liked by: McCreed

Looking good Patrick.

How many coats did you give the body?
    PitBull Builds: FVB-4, LP-1SS, FBM-1, AG-2, TB-4, SSCM-1, TLA-1, TL-1TB, STA-1HT, DSCM-1 Truckster, ST-1, STA-1, MBM-1.

Scratch Builds: Pine Explorer, Axe Bass, Mr Scary, Scratchy Tele's.

The little voices in my head keep telling me "build more guitars"

Quote Originally Posted by Trevor Davies View Post
    Looking good Patrick.

How many coats did you give the body?
    I went with 10 coats on the body. That provided me the finish that I was after. Didn't want it too shiny, but wanted it to be smooth.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3