Thread: Jon's 5th build: TL-1TB

Jon's 5th build: TL-1TB

Hello, all

Just about to start my fifth build, a TL-1TB.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4012.jpeg 
Views:	116 
Size:	353.0 KB 
ID:	42793

The guys at PBG kindly let me swap the standard neck for one with dot position markers.

So far, my plans are to finish in a red candy, with matching headstock. I'm thinking of going with Tonerider humbucker-sized P90s, and leaving the pick guard out altogether. I'm not sure of the nickel pickups are going to jar with the other chrome hardware.

The neck doesn't quite fit, but that's expected, as it's not the neck for this kit, and easily fixed.

Unfortunately, the body has a bow in it. It didn't when I received it - I think it's a result of me storing this kit in my shed for the last few months, while we've been having near 100% humidity in Sydney.

Right now I'm thinking I just need to put this somewhere with low humidity, and hope it fixes itself (a bit.)

Hi Jon,
    shame about the bow - hopefully it can be sorted out. It was not noticeable in the first picture.

Has the body also bowed on the back? Is it the whole body that has bowed or the ply top? Would clamping it help? Just typing out loud here!
    PitBull Builds: FVB-4, LP-1SS, FBM-1, AG-2, TB-4, SSCM-1, TLA-1, TL-1TB, STA-1HT, DSCM-1 Truckster, ST-1, STA-1, MBM-1.

Scratch Builds: Pine Explorer, Axe Bass, Mr Scary, Scratchy Tele's.

The little voices in my head keep telling me "build more guitars"

Yes, the whole body has bowed, so the back is convex. Clamping it sounds like a good idea.

Well, this one has been on the back burner for quite a while. I ended up buying a replacement body from PB, so that's all good.

Just getting going on it again, and I'm struggling to get a nice fit with the neck. Here are a couple of photos. This is with a different body -one that I know has an OK neck pocket.

Name:	IMG_4092.jpeg 
Views:	81 
Size:	362.9 KB 
ID:	43423

Name:	IMG_4094.jpeg 
Views:	83 
Size:	457.5 KB 
ID:	43424

It looks like to heal of the neck is curved. How would I go about flattening that out?

Hi Jon,
    sorry to hear that you're not having much luck with this build.

With my PB tele style necks the neck heels are close to 24 mm (only measured with a mm ruler and bad eyes!). Is it that your neck is less than this on the short side , or more on the high side. This may help to determine whether you can take material off, or if you need to add a shim.
    PitBull Builds: FVB-4, LP-1SS, FBM-1, AG-2, TB-4, SSCM-1, TLA-1, TL-1TB, STA-1HT, DSCM-1 Truckster, ST-1, STA-1, MBM-1.

Scratch Builds: Pine Explorer, Axe Bass, Mr Scary, Scratchy Tele's.

The little voices in my head keep telling me "build more guitars"