Thread: Want to build a JMA-4 bass next

Want to build a JMA-4 bass next

My son recently purchased an EXA7 guitar from Pitbull and while it was challenging for us to build our first guitar, it got me wanting to build a bass for myself. I've only been playing for about 6 months. My current bass is an Ibanez SR500.

Have been looking at the JBA-4 kit. Been saving up a little cash here and there to make the purchase. Now that I have the cash around, I see that the kit is "out of stock".

For those who have been around here longer than I have, does the stock get replenished fairly quickly, or is there a chance that I am in for a long wait? Seems like in this crazy world we live in, that everything takes a great deal more time that it used to.

Anyway, looking forward to starting a new build. This one should be easier than my son's as there is less to wire, the neck bolts on, and I'm going to do a leather stain/dye and wipe on poly finish.

You *could* be in for a long wait. It all depends on how long it's been out of stock and when the next shipment from the factory (literally a slow boat from China) is due to set sail. If the next shipment is already on it's way you may not have to wait long. Custom orders take much longer because the mods have to me made at the factory and then put out with the next shipment . Some kits just disappear all together from the website.

Yeah, looking at their website, they have 25 bass kits listed, and 10 of them are out of stock at the moment. I know that the JBA-4 was in stock about a week ago as i was getting the price included shipping to ensure that I had saved enough play money on the side to buy it.

Oh well, gotta be patient I guess. Something in the universe is telling me it's not time to buy right now.

Hi Patrick, You can shoot Pitbull an e-mail and ask when they think the kits will be back in.

I feel you though,
    I ordered my kit late December (mind you this was after being told beginning November that the cut off for orders was late December).
    I am still waiting for the kit, and whilst I am still very much looking forward to the kit, I have got quite some work and other projects going on that I did not anticipate back then. In other words, I feel I wouldn't enjoy this present to myself as much as I should.

On the positive side:
    There is a kit coming, and I can put it aside and grab it once I do feel ready.
    Perhaps this time in general is a time to reflect how lucky and fortunate we've been to have things basically on demand.

Yeah, i sent them an email a 2 or 3 days ago asking if they had any ETA on when the kits might arrive. I had gotten a 5% coupon through the website, but it's only good through the month of March.

I see the DJB-4 ash kit is still available. I'll have to see if maybe I should go that route instead.

I just went ahead and bought the DJB-4 kit. This is very close to the same thing as the JBA-4 kit. I did the upgrade to the maple fretboard and went with the bone nut. I will certainly setup a build diary when I get started on the build.

ooh, looks like I might have bought the last of the DJB-4's as they are now showing out of stock.

Good to hear, looking forward to seeing your build!