Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: First Build - PRS-1F

Ok bit of an update and some actual progress/work done today.
    So first of all, test fit went well. Couple of minor things to sort during build but nothing too major/worth noting.
    First task today was removing the stock nut to replace with the bone upgrade.
    Removal was pretty easy, was alot of glue though. So cleaned it all up, and glued in the bone one with a very small amount of the neck glue. Taped the nut, and have it setting to work on tomorrow. I also roughed out a headstock shape. Which will be part of tomorrow's job to cut and prep for oil.

Then started prep work on body. I drew approx shape I wanted for belly curve and started shaping.
    This process was kinda scary being a first timer. But I got alot of satisfaction from the outcome. It was exactly what I set out to achieve. Which was to remove alot of material and still have it look subtle. And have the whole thing flow with the curves of the body shape.
    BeforeClick image for larger version. 

Name:	Resize_20220402_200842_2081.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	325.5 KB 
ID:	42866
    Marked outClick image for larger version. 

Name:	Resize_20220402_200842_2798.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	370.5 KB 
ID:	42867
    Finished and sanded with 80gritClick image for larger version. 

Name:	Resize_20220402_200843_3499.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	424.0 KB 
ID:	42868

As it stands right now, I'm making my way into finer grits on the back of the body. And hoping to have it finished ready for stain shortly. And hoping to get stain done tonight.

Was just excited to get it going and share my progress. Thoughts and suggestions as always are appreciated. Cheers guys

Oh also forgot to add replies.

The In Line 6 Tuners I caught in talks with PB about waiting on stock and have switched them to the 3+3.
    Initial cart when choosing guitar called for in line, and I forgot to change it before checking out. I'm just glad they didn't have stock and that gave me time to change order.
    Also, thanks guys for the tips in regards to the Tru Oil. Honestly that part scares me more than the 2k Clear. I have experience spraying/airbrushing so it's not that concerning. But no experience with oiling wood of any kind.
    Also, I took advice and have ordered and received a few metres of 22awg Cloth push back wire for all wiring. Supplier I found was relatively close, so ordered arrived within 2 days.

If you're open to suggestions, and while you're still in the pre-finish stages, I will say you should consider doing more shaping on the back around the neck join and lower horn, as well as the heel of the neck.

The standard neck joint has quite a "stepped" transition from the body to the heel. Shaping/smoothing that transition will make a big difference in comfortably accessing the higher frets. It is one thing I regret not doing on my build. I ended up scalloping the front of my body (post-finished) and it made enough difference that I didn't take it any further, but in hindsight I would have done both before applying stain and finish.

You can see my "scallop mod" HERE.
    Making the world a better place; one guitar at a time...

Cheers @McCreed I will take this into consideration when I begin work on the neck and headstock.
    Current situation is I need to make a trip to Office works to get some coloured markers.

No manner of cleaning fluid/adhesive remover budged the excess glue. Which means it's bleed through adhesive on the veneer.
    So I have got the stain to a point I'm happy with, but will be using markers to touch up areas where glue prevented staining ( Mainly bottom edge, one side above top pick-up cavity/neck and the join down the middle )

I had alot of fun layering the colours/blending.

Mid way
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Resize_20220403_160943_3292.jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	643.4 KB 
ID:	42869

After/final

Name:	Resize_20220403_160944_4270.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	654.3 KB 
ID:	42870

Jeez, that's a shame about all the glue... you've done a really nice job with the burst.

Quote Originally Posted by McCreed View Post
    Jeez, that's a shame about all the glue... you've done a really nice job with the burst.
    The majority of it I'll be able to hide with markers. But it is ALOT.

I've already decided on my next maple top kit I'll be purchasing internationally to get a maple cap, not veneer.
    Just so much I wanna try my hand at with the staining that is impossible with such a thin veneer.

Thats not to say I'm still not happy or having fun. Because On both fronts I am.

Quote Originally Posted by Waylander View Post
    The majority of it I'll be able to hide with markers. But it is ALOT.

I've already decided on my next maple top kit I'll be purchasing internationally to get a maple cap, not veneer.
    Just so much I wanna try my hand at with the staining that is impossible with such a thin veneer.

Thats not to say I'm still not happy or having fun. Because On both fronts I am.
    I don't know whether it's the thin veneer or workmanship has just got to shit. There have been past issues with glue, but it's become significantly more common and more extensive in the past 3 or so years. I bought my PRS1-TS in 2018 and had some glue to contend with, but nothing like what I've seen builders contending with of late. It's just shocking IMO.

You can see mine in the Photo Gallery and it has a nice even colour on the top.
    Last edited by McCreed; 03-04-2022 at 05:37 PM.

I'm probably more forgiving as its my first time. I will be alot more critical my next time around.
    I've also only just realised the copper shielding I paid extra for isn't present also.
    I'll get onto PBG tomorrow about it. I won't be ready for electrics install for a lil bit anyway.

Also as an update. I have roughed out my headstock shape. I looked at millions of templates online and decided to just freehand sketch what felt right and go with it.
    I'm more than happy with how it looks so far. Still a ton of sanding to go. But still progress

Name:	Resize_20220403_192946_6494.jpg 
Views:	74 
Size:	808.4 KB 
ID:	42872

Quote Originally Posted by Waylander View Post
    I'm probably more forgiving as its my first time. I will be alot more critical my next time around.
    I've also only just realised the copper shielding I paid extra for isn't present also.
    I'll get onto PBG tomorrow about it. I won't be ready for electrics install for a lil bit anyway.

Also as an update. I have roughed out my headstock shape. I looked at millions of templates online and decided to just freehand sketch what felt right and go with it.
    I'm more than happy with how it looks so far. Still a ton of sanding to go. But still progress

Name:	Resize_20220403_192946_6494.jpg 
Views:	74 
Size:	808.4 KB 
ID:	42872
    Send the guys at pitbull some of the glue photos as they are super helpful and it may help get some traction with their manufacturer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Your burst looks great and I really like the shaping on your headstock.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast