Thread: ES-1F Help please

ES-1F Help please

Just got my kit, I have left over aerosol lacquer toners from a previous build, aerosol sanding sealer and aerosol clear.
    My one and only build so far was on an open grained timber so lots of sanding sealer.
    My understanding is the the ES 1F is closed grained maple top and basswood body which I understand to be closed grain.
    I did a quick sand of the lot this morning (hopefully not to much given the tiny veneer) and I am wondering...
    1. If I apply a stain to pop the flame is it too risky to sand this back?
    2. Should I tape off the binding before applying the stain and if so how do you do that on the thin curvy top and would you tape the F holes as well?
    3. Should I use sanding sealer all over the body and neck...particularly to deal with some of the imperfections, particularly towards the edges of the veneer where there is some chipping due to when it was cut?
    4. On my past build (A Les Paul copy) I created a sunburst and finished with about 10 coats of guitar instrument lacquer. Is this similar for a semi hollowbody?
    Thanks
    Joel

1. Popping the flame is tricky - you're working with 0.6mm veneer at best, so any sanding is very light.
    2. I do tape off binding and do as much as I can. You may get some stain through and a light sand / scrape can usually clear it up. If you don't, it tends to be a lot more work.
    3. I haven't tended to use sanding sealer, but I still consider myself a rank amateur with this stuff.
    4. I'd think the same for hollowbody / solid - you're building up a coat that is strong enough to withstand being used.

In a previous build with the same I coloured with black water based colourtone and rubbed back with dry rag and used 0000wire wool instead of sandpaper as was nowhere near aggressive. Took a little longer than sandpaper but did the job.
    https://www.buildyourownguitar.com.a...ead.php?t=2902
    Tony