Thread: Collector come first-time builder

Collector come first-time builder

Hi folks,

I don’t play much anymore (life’s like that). I have treated myself to my first guitar kit for my 50th birthday, the DTL-1 (American ash body).

I have a wee guitar collection:
    - 1979 Ibanez George Benson GB-10 (in near mint condition, with metal flight case)
    - the full set of 5 x 1960s Silvertone amp-in-case guitars (the lipstick pickups are to die for!)
    - Greco 1976 SE-600B
    - Greco 1980 EG-800
    - Ibanez 1980 AR-100 Artist
    - Eko M33 Shortgun
    - 3 x 1980s JV Fender Stratocasters (including one mint condition ST62-85, and one mint condition CST-50)
    - matching Telestar Mona and Lisa amp-in-case
    - Crafter TMVS semi-acoustic
    - Traveler guitar

So, my Dad has all the workbenches and scroll saws, so it’s going to be a father and son project.

Cheers!

That is quite the collection! Welcome. Would love to hear how you ended up choosing the tele kit to add to all those exotics ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by fender3x View Post
    That is quite the collection! Welcome. Would love to hear how you ended up choosing the tele kit to add to all those exotics ;-)
    A ‘Tele’ is missing from the mix … have you seen the price of a JV Tele or anything else of notoriety … I’m not quite brave enough to invest that sort of money yet, but building my own beforehand seems like a fantastic alternative.

I can understand. It's a little nuts what vintage instruments can cost. My last build was a Precision bass, although I own a '75 Fender P-bass. Anything I do with the "genuine" Fender will damage it's resale value. Meanwhile the bass I built is a better player, lighter and has better pickups.

Tele's a great guitar, and should be a good first build. A lot of guys add some things to improve on the original design, like a belly and cut and arm contour, or different neck pup. They sky is the limit. One of the great things about a kit is you can do things with it you wouldn't dream of doing with a guitar worth a couple of grand.