Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: My first build, an EX7 string, action wayyyyy too high! Please advise.

Quote Originally Posted by vh2580 View Post
    Hard to tell from the picture but nut height looks high. What is the measurement from bottom of string to top of fretboard and distance above first fret.
    Have you put a straight edge on the frets to see if there is bow or is it fairly straight?
    Incremental changes to nut height and neck relief might not completely fix the issue but will provide the base for understanding the actual measurement requirements if you require bridge modification and can go a long way to partially correcting the issue your currently facing. There are a couple of good guides floating around the web on nut and string heights
    Here is a picture of the height of the nut

The neck is pretty stright using a straight edge Had to run a big diagonal and it's not touching the nut.

The measurement from the bottom of the string to the top of the fretboard is about 3mm

The measurement from the top of the fret to the bottom of the string is about 1.5mm

The nut is high but even with that at it’s right height I don’t think it will fix it, the only way is to remove the neck and fix the angle as mentioned before. Amazing work on the finish! Gutted that this has happened

So, spent about 2 hours today with steam from the instant pot trying to break the glue joint. I have some creaking and some neck and body flex going on, but thus far haven't been able to break the hold.

Going to get the stew mac steam needle so that I can better direct the steam where I need it to go. And now that I have the pickups out and access to the cavity, I think I will drill some small holes on each side of the neck heel on the sides to get steam as close as possible to the glue joint from the inside.

And we have separation and broke nothing. Whew.

What worked, put an iron on the back with a rag between it and the guiltar body. Let it sit there for about 40 minutes which heated up the wood and the glue. From there, was able to slide my putty knife down into the gap all the way to the end. Worked around in the gummy glue for awhile, and pushed, pulled, popped, pushed some more, few expletives, quick prayer, push again and it popped out.

After doing another test fix, I can confirm that my piece looked like the one in this picture. If I glue and clamp it on the other end (nearest the fretboard and shim the cavity part, I have good string action.
    Last edited by patrickparks1; 11-02-2022 at 09:11 AM.

Great outcome!
    I had meant to mention the clothes iron before and promptly forgot.

I had a customer bring in a kit build with a neck he had glued in crooked! He glued it with PVA, but I said I'd have a go... no guarantees...
    It was the iron and towel trick that worked for me too. Except it took about 12 hours!

The irony (pardon the pun ) was that the kit was a BOLT ON neck! He glued it AND screwed it because "that's what I thought you were supposed to do". Yikes!

Your son should be very happy now! Good on ya!
    Making the world a better place; one guitar at a time...

Wooohoo nice one!!

I'd suggest gluing a piece of maple veneer to the bottom of the end of the tenon and then sanding it so the whole bottom is flat. You'll get a stronger joint and there should be no risk of the neck angle going wrong during the gluing process.

Good save man! Well on the way to rectification
    FrankenLab
    Hand crafting guitars, because Death Rays are expensive.

Okay, reset the neck today. Took Simon's suggestion and put some wood veneer onto the neck joint where it was coming up short so I could get it clamped on both ends nice and tight. Had glue squirt out on both ends and we have no gap. We had a string on it so we could measure action on each end. About 1.2 mm now instead of 5 or 6. I'm sure I have some truss rod adjustments to make.

I appreciate all the help and support from the board. Per pitbull support suggestion, going to leave it clamped for at least 48 hours so will know more Monday or Tuesday.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2