Thread: Will this Strat-ish mod work?

Will this Strat-ish mod work?

My daughter and I are working on a build on kit from that has the layout below

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	jazzstrat.jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	13.0 KB 
ID:	42545

It's mostly a strat, but with just one volume and one tone and a five way switch. We'd like to wire it adding a push-pull switch on the tone control. Switch in the down position would be normal Strat. Switch in the up position would make the bridge pickup always on.

I think this little mod on a wiring diagram that we found at Guitarelectronics.com will work...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3pup_1v1t_push-pull.gif 
Views:	83 
Size:	119.2 KB 
ID:	42546

...but I wanted to check in with folks who are less dyslexic than I am to make sure before wiring it up ;-)

Does this look OK?

As shown, it makes the neck pickup always on (like on my DG Strat) but the end result is basically the same. If you want to switch the bridge as always on, connect the red wire to the tab on the other end of the switch, where the hot wire from the slanted bridge pickup is shown as connected.

With two pot Strat styles, I normally jumper across to the other side of the switch, to double up on the contacts for greater reliability.

Quote Originally Posted by Simon Barden View Post
    As shown, it makes the neck pickup always on (like on my DG Strat) but the end result is basically the same. If you want to switch the bridge as always on, connect the red wire to the tab on the other end of the switch, where the hot wire from the slanted bridge pickup is shown as connected.
    She's more into Pink Floyd than I am. (Seems odd considering she's 16). I think she may like having a David Gilmour switch ;-)

With two pot Strat styles, I normally jumper across to the other side of the switch, to double up on the contacts for greater reliability.[/QUOTE]

I hadn't considered that, but it's a good idea.

Thanks! Nice to have a look over my shoulder.