Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Gumtree Score

Coming along slowly. A lot of sanding off the dodgy white. There some nice grain patterns coming thru, however I'm not sure I'm going to be able to pull off a stained finish given there is lots of white still in the grain pores and a few small dings. We will see. My plan b is to do similar to what I did on the back of my LP build. Light spray of red paint and then grainfill (what grain is left) black timber mate over that then clear. Have been using a scrubbing brush and thinners to get majority of white out of the pores so far.

I've always wanted to do a string thru tune-o-matic by the way. So it's all drilled out

Ooh, nice. Thinking of doing the same for one of my Vs, if I have the room to play with.

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

4. Liked by: Bakersdozen

Quote Originally Posted by dozymuppet View Post
    Ooh, nice. Thinking of doing the same for one of my Vs, if I have the room to play with.

Killer! I love the string thru v look. Especially when the string thru's are v shaped as well I'd recommend doing up a test platter on scrap to see how much string clearance you get over the back of the tune-o-matic. And if your angling the bridge, there is more to consider.

Quote Originally Posted by Bakersdozen View Post
    I'd recommend doing up a test platter on scrap to see how much string clearance you get over the back of the tune-o-matic. And if your angling the bridge, there is more to consider.
    ^^^^ This.

Plus you’ll really need small ferrules or a drilled plate on the top for the strings to pass through to stop them digging into the wood over time.

Quote Originally Posted by Simon Barden View Post
    ^^^^ This.

Plus you’ll really need small ferrules or a drilled plate on the top for the strings to pass through to stop them digging into the wood over time.
    I like the look of the little front ferrules. They are 4mm in comparison to the 8mm rear ferrules. Here's a comparison shot. Oh and body is now RED. Gonna let this cure some more, although it is fully dry in the heat we had today, before going over with the black grain fill. Still unsure if I'm going to use black timber mate or black acrylic paint. I feel like the paint will be less work and a bit easier to wipe on and then off hopefully leaving enough in the grain pores to subtly enhance it. We will see.

Quote Originally Posted by Bakersdozen View Post
    Killer! I love the string thru v look. Especially when the string thru's are v shaped as well I'd recommend doing up a test platter on scrap to see how much string clearance you get over the back of the tune-o-matic. And if your angling the bridge, there is more to consider.
    Great idea. Thanks!

10. Liked by: Bakersdozen

Quote Originally Posted by Simon Barden View Post
    Looks like there's enough grain/pore depth left for enhancement.
    Yes, I purposely didn't use primer and this paint (SCA) sinks right down leaving the pores exposed

I'm calling this one done. Neck is currently settling and have not intonated it yet - which I will ballpark tonight after 2 young humans are fast asleep.

Went with an Artist Bullbucker in the neck and a Tonerider Birmingham in the bridge. Both independently coil splitable with push pull knobs. 50s wiring config. A very solid combo indeed. Will also need some slight height adjustment to balance once I get the final intonation dialled in.

Pretty happy with the finish considering what is was when I rescued it. Grain fill over paint worked well and I really prefer the satin textured finish with the grain lines showing rather than fully smooth high gloss immaculate jobs.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast