Thread: Anybody know what wood is used on the back of the hollow bodies like the ES-1F?

Anybody know what wood is used on the back of the hollow bodies like the ES-1F?

I'm in the process of finishing my ES-1F but having a bit of a problem with the rear of the body. I've stained the front and sides but I'm leaving the back natural. I'm going to cover the whole thing in 2K clearcoat but I'm having issues with grain lifting on the back. I've sanded it nice and smooth but when I go over it with my tack-cloth, the cloth is lifting fibers.

I'm guessing that I need to use some sanding sealer to prevent this. I want to get this done today and Bunnings is my only real option for buying this. However, they only have a large and expensive brush-on sealer. I've heard of people using a watered-down slurry of Timbermate wood filler.

Does anybody have any experience of this and any advice to offer?

It comes in a range of colours but I really want to match the natural wood if possible. Does anybody know what type of wood is used?

Thanks!

The chances are you are lifting fibres because you are wiping the cloth against the grain.if you want to seal then wipe q=with the grain to remove the sanding dust if that's why you are using a tack cloth, then spray a coat of 2k, let it cure and sand before doing your remaining coats. The slurry idea won't seal all it will do is fill pores.After you have enough coats of 2k you need to give it enough time to cure fully before level sanding... Otherwise as it cures it shrinks and the pores will show.

3. Liked by: PorkyPig

Its a basswood ply. The outer ply is a nicely figured layer, but it’s still only as thick as veneer, so don’t over sand it or you’ll sand through to the glue and the next ply layer.

As basswood is so soft, maybe a tack cloth is just too strong for it and is simply ripping the wood fibres out. I often just rub the wiid down with a clean cotton cloth and turpentine to remove the sanding dust.