Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: sexy ATL-1SB "THINLINE" first build journey

I think it’s more likely to be a broken-off drill bit, there would be no need for anyone to try screwing anything in the hole. If it is a drill bit, it may pull out if you can grip it with pliers. If it’s hidden by the bridge plate, you can drill round it enough to expose it enough to grab it firmly to remove.

Then drill out big enough to glue in a hardwood plug and then re-drill for the bridge screw.

2. Liked by: thiscocktail

Welcome

I am working on the same kit you can see the diary here

It funny how the kit has changed recently - different fret board design.

It will be interesting to watch them both develop!

I was moving to buy the same you own but I found this forgotten old kit in sale and i bought it. I like more the shark teeth than the classic dots, just because I like weirdo and unusual stuff. I'm taking this build only in the spare time so I'll need a lot of time before to finish it. Keep in touch

Ps: which is your solution about neck finishing? And about the frets?

I take a while to put together all your nice tips and help. According to @RocknRolf consideration about if is necessary or not to use some turapori/filler and thinking about @Simon Barden description about the two different products I think that I'm gonna use nothing on the body because I want to keep it natural, with a wood feeling but I'm thinking to use grain filler for the neck and fretboard before the trueoil. Does it make sense for a more "slippery" feeling on the neck? The wood is maple and to me, it doesn't look like that deep grain structure so perhaps it's better the turapori?
    Last edited by thiscocktail; 04-02-2022 at 05:52 PM.

Maple doesn't need grain filling, so there's no need to use a grain filler or even turapori on the neck. Just use TruOil on the neck and fretboard.

7. Liked by: thiscocktail

Good day everyone. Little update. I shaped a thiny piece of wood to fill the gap into the neck socket. Have to refinish it but I have to check first, two three times, the bridge position,at first sight something is wrong with position and predrills but one thing at time.
    And I start to work on headstock...first time shaping wood
    Shaping https://imgur.com/a/pG4l59R

Quote Originally Posted by thiscocktail View Post
    Good day everyone. Little update. I shaped a thiny piece of wood to fill the gap into the neck socket. Have to refinish it but I have to check first, two three times, the bridge position,at first sight something is wrong with position and predrills but one thing at time.
    And I start to work on headstock...first time shaping wood
    Shaping https://imgur.com/a/pG4l59R
    Yes, although a different TL kit to yours my bridge was out and needed moving 3mm towards where the control plate goes. The original holes were covered by the bridge. I glued tooth picks in the old holes. Once you fit the neck, fit the bridge and put the 2 E strings on and check the alignment of the neck to see where the strings sit.

10. Liked by: DeanCraig, thiscocktail

Liking that headstock shape!

12. Liked by: thiscocktail

Quote Originally Posted by Rodc View Post
    Yes, although a different TL kit to yours my bridge was out and needed moving 3mm towards where the control plate goes. The original holes were covered by the bridge. I glued toothpicks in the old holes. Once you fit the neck, fit the bridge and put the 2 E strings on and check the alignment of the neck to see where the strings sit.
    good, is the plan I was planning
    I made several measuring and consideration about pickup hole, predrills, cheped part, etc and I choose to keep the PU hole as right point to refer at.
    To center the bridge to the neck I guess that the steps are:
    fix the neck to the body
    put two long straight bars next to the neck
    position the saddlers between them
    re-check the distance between the bridge and the neck and put it parallel to its end
    predrill
    fix
    cross Finger
    mount the e strings and hope that them are right positioned upon the fretboard
    check the neck if is ok or if it need a control at truss road
    set the bridge etc etc

And everything have to be done once that the two parts are finished.

Quote Originally Posted by RocknRolf View Post
    Liking that headstock shape!
    Thanks a lot, I wasn't sure to be able to make it like that, indeed there was ready a very simple plan B

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast