Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: sexy ATL-1SB "THINLINE" first build journey

sexy ATL-1SB "THINLINE" first build journey

Good day everyone.

I'm Michel from Italy and this is my first build experience that just started.

After a couple of years where the idea of building a kit was crossing my mind, I found this lovely ATL-1SB "THINLINE" kit that PitBull's staff discovered in a dark dusty forgotten corner of the warehouse, and I fall in love with the spalted maple top so I adopted her and some groove.

PitBull sent the package very very quickly but due to covid the delivery was quite long and when it finally arrived I was a little disappointed about the customs taxes, 60€ for 150€ kit...but there are so many things that are disappointing me in Italy that I'm not surprised at all.

Opening the box I get immediately super happy because the top was exactly the one of the picture and I love it.

I checked the package content and unlikely, murphy is really on me, it was missing the potentiometers and PU selector. No big issue because with a very fast answer PitBull's staff send me back the missing part (probably it will be another 3 months of wait for the delivery and who knows about international taxes ). The staff is always nice, polite, fun and quick, I like them.

I read the quick guide and I tried the mock build and checked the body and neck.

The body has a very nice spalted maple top, did I say that I like it very much? because I do
    It looks very well made, a little chip around a predrill but it will be covered by the pickguard so no big deal about it. Something to sand into the PU holes, the f-hole to finish a little better, and just another thin sand all over the body.

neck and fretboard look good, frets seem well-positioned. The back needs to be sanded a little more than the body and there are 3/4 hits but they look like the one you can fix with wet cloth and iron. I think that fret also needs the last sand.

My plan about the kit is to keep it as more natural as possible but I have some fantasies about it...

Body top 90% it will natural with truoil but 10% I'm hypothesizing to give a light hand of some color to get a different contrast with the dark veins but note sure yet (some of those tones you're not getting if it is a blue or green)

The body back....my biggest fantasy is to try the Lichtenberg effect but I dislike my life not that much to risk the life for it so probably I'll move to another fantasy less dangerous like the Shou Sugi Ban, a light one, without "burning down the house"

Fretboard 99% it will only truoil everywhere

Headstock I probably move to a kind of rapacious profile

Probably I will change the pickguard (a deep Shou Sugi Ban one) but quite sure I'll give it a little mod to it because I'm gonna try to add a built-in LPB-1 boost just to make the first build easier and to give a punch to the pickups

The only thing so far that worried me is the little gap between body and neck. I didn't finish yet the instruction but I guess that a bolted neck don't need glue so I think that a filler is not the best idea....perhaps shaping a little piece of wood to glue to the body is a better solution

Some pics of the kit

Nice build and great music to everyone

That is a lovely spalted top. The back is also very nice.

+1 for a shim around the neck pocket to reduce the gap. The tru-oil coats around the base of the neck should also help reduce the gap.

Good luck with the build.
    PitBull Builds: FVB-4, LP-1SS, FBM-1, AG-2, TB-4, SSCM-1, TLA-1, TL-1TB, STA-1HT, DSCM-1 Truckster, ST-1, STA-1, MBM-1.

Scratch Builds: Pine Explorer, Axe Bass, Mr Scary, Scratchy Tele's.

The little voices in my head keep telling me "build more guitars"

Thanks for welcoming me.

I'll do my best to cross all the insidious along the path.

Due to your experience should I give a hand of pores sealer and relative sand before using the true oil?

thanks

What a great looking spalted top!
    #001 (LP-1S) [finished - co-runner up Nov 2018 GOTM]
    #002 (WL-1)
    #003 (MPL Megacaster - semi scratch build) [finished]
    #004 (ST-1 JR - Arachnoid Superhero build) [finished]
    #005 (LP jr)
    #006 (TL-1A)

Junk shop acoustic refurbs (various)
    'The TGS Special'

Welcome, and what a stunning pattern!

Due to your experience should I give a hand of pores sealer and relative sand before using the true oil?
    Not the spalted top, but if you mean grain filling the back and sides:
    - yes, if you want to highlight the grain pattern and after high-gloss finish.
    - no, if you want an oiled finish where you can still feel the grain/ the wood.

yes, I guess I meant the grain filler (I have no idea in English, in Italian is Turapori).
    I do not want high gloss finish on the body, not sure yet if I want to keep it totally natural (sure the top will) , or use some substitute of dingotones for some watercolor effect, or try to use some light fire burn....little more confused about the neck...I think it will be only truoil until I find the right amount of hands I need for a good feeling (that reading around here and web seems we are talking at least 10 round of it)...no Idea at all at the moment about how to work with/on the fretboard.

thanks for the info about using or not the grain filler.

<3 I love it

Turapori would appear to be a sealer, rather than a grain filler.

You would normally use turapori straight on a smooth wood surface, or after you have filled the grain or a rougher wood surface with a grain filler. Grain filler is a much finer version of a normal wood filler and is used go get a surface level where there are open pores and a lot of deep grain structure in the wood, such as you get with ash.

This is one example. https://www.amazon.it/Rustins-GRNA23...45&sr=8-4&th=1

9. Liked by: thiscocktail

I'm checking deeper into all the parts (it will be a long journey to the end of the project, I'm super busy with work so I have only spare time to spend on this but I'm not in the rush, I already have more guitars than my ability to play need) and I just figure out that a predrill for the bridge that is not in perfect shape it has inside some metal something, seems like some leftover of a broken screw...

That's a pickle, is this the left side/ top bridge mounting hole?
    Would you be able to take another picture, focussing on the screw? (sometimes putting a finger next to the object that needs focus helps the camera out)

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast