Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6

Thread: Build #2 - PSH-1 (Redux)

Lovely recovery in progress

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

This looks amazing.

Totally different figure to mine and love the black. Your glue stains were very similar to mine and goof off didn’t nothing to remove them. (It did work on more obvious glue chunks but not where it was soaked through the veneer. Only option was to paint over and hide. You have done a great job and cannot see where they were.

I left you a note in another thread about my experience with the kaisch locking posts. Make sure they fit your bridge before you set your neck otherwise you may want to consider other bridge options which you should fit before setting your neck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looks very nice, the flame maple features on yours is similar to mine.

Well, it has been over 1 year since I last posted on this project! I got sidetracked and didn't get back to this until February 2023.

I have now completed staining and oiling the guitar and setting the neck. The last thing I did was apply one coat of lemon oil, for a slightly glossier finish, and am letting this dry/cure before deciding what to do next.

I used stains, danish oil and lemon oil from TLC Guitar Goods and I am very happy with the result. Unfortunately, the guitar body was a 3 piece basswood (you may remember my original, custom, order had a mahogany body but it arrived with quite a few defects) and it's not the best at taking even staining. Nonetheless I'm relatively happy with it. The maple veneer top and the maple neck are both stunning.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PXL_20230213_103318125.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	162.8 KB 
ID:	44086

Name:	PXL_20230314_090104441.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	226.4 KB 
ID:	44087

Name:	PXL_20230314_101514515.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	235.1 KB 
ID:	44088 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PXL_20230314_101359941.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	207.2 KB 
ID:	44089

The first image shows the back after staining and before applying danish oil.
    The next three images show the guitar after a single and final application of lemon oil.

I am considering applying 2-3 coats of Minwax wipe-on poly. Does anyone have any advice for me? It's a water-based product so wondering if this will be problematic given the danish oil finish. I'm hoping for a bit more of a protective layer and a touch more gloss to the finish.

I wasn't able to find a solution to the white binding so I have decided to go with gold pickup rings to replace the cream ones I originally purchased. If it looks too "blingy" I will go back to the original black ones that came with the standard pickups.
    Last edited by dbeltrami; 08-01-2024 at 03:48 PM.
    ---------------------------
    First build: TLA-1F
    Second Build: PSH-1

Wow, that top looks great!
    PitBull Builds: FVB-4, LP-1SS, FBM-1, AG-2, TB-4, SSCM-1, TLA-1, TL-1TB, STA-1HT, DSCM-1 Truckster, ST-1, STA-1, MBM-1.

Scratch Builds: Pine Explorer, Axe Bass, Mr Scary, Scratchy Tele's.

The little voices in my head keep telling me "build more guitars"

I ended up using the wipe-on poly and I have to say that I am very glad that I did.

It was my first time using this product so I am an amateur but I'm very happy with the finish. Here's the guitar with all hardware installed except for the switches and wiring.

Name:	PXL_20230328_094245409.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	98.4 KB 
ID:	44146

I'll work on a template next and then follow a wiring diagram for coil splitting with a push-pull tone knob.

So far, with a rudimentary setup the action and intonation are both fine.
    Last edited by dbeltrami; 08-01-2024 at 03:48 PM.

And... the finished product!

Name:	PXL_20230328_094245409.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	168.9 KB 
ID:	44166