Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Nut slotting files for bone bridges

That protuberance is to adjust the blade tension. You adjust the frame length so the blade will be held in both ends of the frame. You clamp the blade into the end where the handle is. You then make sure that the clamp on the other end will clamp the blade. You undo the one farthest from the handle and press the protuberance against a solid face so as to shorten the frame. While you have the frame compressed you make sure the blade is in the clamp and tighten the clamp. When you release the pressure on the frame the blade will be under tension and you will be able to cut a straight line. If there is no tension on the blade then you cannot control where the blade cuts. Depending on how much cutting you do you may have to readjust the blade tension as the blade heats up but make sure you release the blade after use as it maybe under too much tension once the blade cools and break the blade. If you pick the blade before you put tension on it the sound will be dull, once you have tension on it the sound will be bright, same as a guitar string.

Although what you are using it for it may help or it may not.
    Builds :
    # 1 - Non PBG ES-335
    # 2 - Non PBG Tele Thin line
    # 3 - Non PBG LP
    # 4 - Non PBG SG
    # 5 - RC-1
    # 6 - TL-1
    # 7 - ST-1 Custom
    # 8 - SGB-30 + Non PBG SG
    # 9 - Custom JRM-1DC 12 String
    #10 - Custom ST-1 with P90's
    #11 - Custom TL-1 with 27" Bari Neck
    #12 - Custom JZ-6 Jazzmaster
    #13 - AG-1 Factory Second
    #14 - Custom JZ-6 Bass vi
    #15 - EX-1R Factory Second
    #16 - AGM-1
    #17 - EXA-7

Thanks Dikkybee. It's funny how you can watch YouTube videos that purport to tell you everything you need to know about a tool, that still leave out something rather critical. I found instructional vids that do exactly what you suggest, once I knew to look for it. Much appreciated.

I was able to get the tip cleaner "blade" much tighter using the proper method, but not tight enough to get all the bow out when cutting. I think you could cut a nut using the tip cleaner in the jewler's saw frame this way, but I would still be worried that you'd have a slightly curved channel, at least on the high-pitched strings. That said, if all you want to do is put a curved bottom on a slot that was cut with a flat bottomed tool, this could work nicely, properly installed.

Thanks Fender3x, that's some good sluething! I have pretty much that exact jewelers saw frame, but I don't think I'll bother with the tip cleaners. They're only good for cleaning tips as far as I'm concerned. I'll likely be springing for a set of decent files in the not too distant future.

Yeah, I thought from what you said above you were going to do that. A better investment if you plan to do many guitars. My investigations were to try to see the best cheap alternative.

5. Liked by: ross.pearson

So I ended up buying some Uo-Chikyu flat files from plaza japan for about $125 AUD including delivery, which was about a week. I think it's a pretty good deal.

I got the 10 - 46 set, which should still be fine for 9's but give me the option of 10's.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20220314_132407_resized_20220315_123318210.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	200.2 KB 
ID:	42746

Now I just want to get a proper crowning file and then I'll get the tele back from my mate and finish the setup.

I have the 8-piece Uo-Chikyu 10-56 set. I haven't had any string combination that I couldn't accommodate.

I use some other files for bass, but having a look at the Plaza Japan site, I might grab a set of their bass set for $57AU plus shipping!
    Making the world a better place; one guitar at a time...

Yeah I can't believe how cheap they are on that site. Kinda wishing I'd bought the 8 piece set, but the budget wouldn't allow it.

Well, I managed to drop 150 bucks last night!
    I got the 4 file bass set and couple other bits & bobs. Between the 4-piece set and files I already have I should be able to do any bass nut.
    (though I don't get as many basses in as guitars)
    Making the world a better place; one guitar at a time...

10. Liked by: ross.pearson

Quote Originally Posted by McCreed View Post
    I got the 4 file bass set and couple other bits & bobs. Between the 4-piece set and files I already have I should be able to do any bass nut.
    Brilliant! We're still saving for the house we're building, so I'm trying hard to only get essentials... Only a million more things I need to be able to make necks.

Quote Originally Posted by McCreed View Post
    yeah, I’m holding out….but only just…
    FrankenLab
    Hand crafting guitars, because Death Rays are expensive.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast