Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: New studio PC build.

New studio PC build.

Hey Everyone....

Thought I would start a new thread about my new Studio PC build, so here are the details....

Specs:

CPU: A brand-new AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 8-core 3.5GHz, overclockable to 4.3 GHz, each of the 8 cores can handle two threads simultaneously, so the Ryzen 7 3700X comes up as a 16-core in Device Manager.

Motherboard: A brand-new Asus TUF Gaming X570 Plus WiFi gaming motherboard.

Ram: X2 New 8Gb DDR4 3200 (16Gb in total, motherboard supports up to a whopping 128Gb of Ram).

System Drive: X1 Crucial NVME 1Tb M.2 SSD.

Optical Drives: X2 Multi Layer DVD Burners.

Graphics Card: Nvidia Geforce GT730 2Gb

Power Supply: X1 850W Zalman (I'm replacing it with a new 850W modular power supply soon to fix some cable management issues).

Operating System: Microsoft Windows 11 Home English International 64Bit.

Audio Interface: Scarlett 2i2 2nd Gen USB Audio Interface.

What can I say?, this new studio PC is a beast, Windows 11 is running like a dream on it, boots-up very fast, all my Daw software seems to run really well with the new Ryzen 7 3700X CPU doing all the number crunching, I've got my ASIO Sample-Rate/Buffer set to 48,000/256, latency is 6ms and audio playback in FL Studio 20.9 is crystal-clear, I tried going through all the demo songs and none of them overloaded the CPU, no pops, clicks, funny distortion, just crystal-clear audio playback, some of the songs used quite a few plugins, and had quite a few instrument/sample tracks, I was very impressed with the performance, which was rock-solid.

I did an online benchmark comparison of my old Intel Core i5-2500 3.3Ghz Quad Core CPU with the new Ryzen 7 3700X, the new Ryzen 7 3700X worked out to be roughly twice as powerful as the old i5-2500.

Very happy with my new studio PC build, I'm confident that it is reliable enough for some serious music production work.

Almost forgot to mention that the new Asus motherboard also includes WiFi and Bluetooth connectivity, it has some USB 3.0 ports and a USB-C 3.1 port, as well as an integrated HDMI port.
    Last edited by DrNomis_44; 20-01-2022 at 11:50 PM.

Yay, Doc. Nice to see you back and with a new toy that's performing as it should.

Quote Originally Posted by Simon Barden View Post
    Yay, Doc. Nice to see you back and with a new toy that's performing as it should.
    Cheers, it's great to be back, I had a real rough start to the year, last year my old J2 Pro phone died in November, had to buy a second-hand Google Pixel 3 phone as a replacement, then just after Boxing Day, my Acer laptop died, my old studio PC died, and my Polaroid 65 inch UHDTV died...I must have been jinxed or something...lol, anyway, I bought the new hardware as a late Christmas present for myself, using my new studio PC right now to post this.

4. Liked by: PJSprog

Next week, I'm planning on buying a new 850W modular power supply, and new case for the new studio PC, I'll post some pics of it in this thread once it's all up and running in it's new case.

Time for an update:

My new studio PC is going great, been very happy with the results so far, a few fortnights ago, I was able to buy a new PCIe Firewire 400 card with a Texas Instruments chipset that Focusrite recommend, and I managed to install and get it working in my new studio PC with very little trouble, the new PCIe Firewire 400 card allows me to plug-in my Focusrite Saffire Pro 40 Audio Interface and use it with my Daw software, I've got it all working well.

Okay, here's a pic of the insides of my new studio PC, showing the new motherboard, CPU, and ram sticks installed in the case, I managed to buy a brand-new 750 Watt modular power supply for the new studio PC, which really helped to tidy-up my cable management....

Top pic is the new studio PC up and running, you might notice a multi-coloured fan in the clear side-window, that's the new Ryzen 7 3700X CPU cooling fan.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	New Studio PC_resized.jpg 
Views:	106 
Size:	94.6 KB 
ID:	42934

Name:	New Studio PC Insides_resized.jpg 
Views:	94 
Size:	324.4 KB 
ID:	42935

Here's a pic I took after I had finished installing the new Asus TUF Gaming X570 Plus WiFi motherboard, underneath the fan is the CPU heatsink for the new Ryzen 7 3700X CPU, which normally runs at a base frequency of 3.5Ghz, but sometimes goes up to 4.3Ghz, it's an 8-core CPU, but comes-up as a 16-core CPU in device manager because each of the 8 physical cores handles two threads simultaneously, so, it's a pretty powerful CPU, it seems to be able to easily handle a full mix in FL Studio, with CPU usage hovering at about 50%.

Name:	Current Studio Setup_resized.jpg 
Views:	100 
Size:	197.4 KB 
ID:	42936

Here's a pic of my current studio setup, as you can see, my new studio PC is running Windows 11, all the new hardware I installed in the case is fully supported by Windows 11, all I had to do is go into the new motherboard's Bios and make sure that FTPM (Firmware Trusted Platform Module), and UEFI Secure Boot was enabled, my new AMD Ryzen 7 3700X CPU was on Microsoft's AMD Windows 11 supported CPU list, I must say that I am very impressed and happy with how Windows 11 is running on my new studio PC, it runs really well, I've experienced relatively few issues.
    Last edited by DrNomis_44; 19-06-2022 at 10:54 AM.

Update:

Music production is not the only thing I use my new studio PC for, I'm also into computer gaming as well, I recently bought a new game on my steam account, Serious Sam 4, unfortunately I didn't read the fine-print before I had installed the game so I went to play the game after it had finished installing and was wondering why it would try to start and then quit to the desktop, with great humility I swallowed my pride and decided to read the fine-print, under the list of requirements it said that I needed a graphics card with at least 4Gb of video Ram on it, and the Nvidia Geforce GT 730 graphics card I am currently using only has 2Gb of video Ram on it, so, on Tuesday morning this week (14th June 2022) I finally decided to buy a nice new graphics card as an upgrade, I already had two graphics cards on my wishlist at mwave.com.au and I chose to buy myself a new Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1660 OC 6GB Video Card, I checked out a few reviews of it on youtube before ordering it, turns-out it has gotten quite a few good reviews.

https://www.mwave.com.au/product/gig...XPF5Ki-PN4VmrU

Update:

Got an email from mwave.com.au yesterday saying that they had despatched my order, should arrive in the post on Monday next week.

Update:

New graphics card for my new studio PC coming this afternoon, just need to wait till 4pm to pick it up from the post office, pretty excited about it.

Looking forward to hearing how it goes! I just built a new PC too, and it's made a world of difference
    #001 (LP-1S) [finished - co-runner up Nov 2018 GOTM]
    #002 (WL-1)
    #003 (MPL Megacaster - semi scratch build) [finished]
    #004 (ST-1 JR - Arachnoid Superhero build) [finished]
    #005 (LP jr)
    #006 (TL-1A)

Junk shop acoustic refurbs (various)
    'The TGS Special'

Doc has now been playing video games for over 24 hours constantly, and can't move away from the PC for being surrounded by pizza boxes.

So, no change at all.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast