Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: StrazzV

StrazzV

Sooo...today this project kind of came to light in the fact that I got it stringed up and it played beautifully. It is something that has been slowly progressing and I have loathe to take photos along the way thinking it probably wouldn't make light of day. I was progressing until I could string it up and test the proof of concept. Well, it passed with flying (V) colours so I'll introduce it here.

This idea is a mash up of left over Pitbull components. Hating to put anything to waste. A hard tail Strat body that has had a previous role in a different project. An LP (set) neck that was a spare from my LP1E build. Both items had some serious shop wear, but nothing that can't be macgyvered back to life - ghetto style.

Had to amend the heel of the neck to make it Strat and subsequently bolt on compatible. Some extra wood and muchos shaping. Cut off the very last fret to make it fit and clear the neck pickup. Headstock has added wood to get it to a flying V shape.

Went for a Jazzmaster trem system with TOM roller bridge, cause why not. And 2 P90s along with a hotrail HB in the middle. Yes, some sort of true Franken bitch I know. But I present it here for your viewing pleasure.

Thinking of a metallic blue with black and chrome highlights. We will see how it turns out.

It will certainly get you noticed!

Maybe you could add an F-hole to add to the range of guitar references used?

That style of trem visually helps balance the arrow headstock. It’s certainly got something satisfying about it that a lot of other attempts to put an arrow headstock on a non-V guitar don’t have.

I’m looking forwards to seeing the end result.

Quote Originally Posted by Simon Barden View Post
    It will certainly get you noticed!

Maybe you could add an F-hole to add to the range of guitar references used?

That style of trem visually helps balance the arrow headstock. It’s certainly got something satisfying about it that a lot of other attempts to put an arrow headstock on a non-V guitar don’t have.

I’m looking forwards to seeing the end result.
    Oh yes an F-hole could be very cool. Don't tempt me. My feeling on intent was the same, the jazz trem seems to point the whole direction off towards the v headstock. It plays great, now I can move on with the finish and wiring regimen.

Definitely outside the box!
    I think you should call it "The Mongrel".

How'd you manage fixing that vibrato with the forearm cut?

FrankenWashie should be along any time now...
    Making the world a better place; one guitar at a time...

Quote Originally Posted by McCreed View Post
    Definitely outside the box!
    I think you should call it "The Mongrel".

How'd you manage fixing that vibrato with the forearm cut?
    That sounds a fitting name for this project I did a bit if reshaping and the corner of the trem pretty much meets the firearm cut now. But it all sits nice and flush so all good under the hood.

Thoughts about reshaping the pickguard as per the rough sharpie marks on the last picture??

The top reshaping makes sense. On the bottom section, just make sure that there's enough wood beneath the reshape to get a fixing screw in that's not too close to the edge of the control rout.

Hard to tell with a solid pickguard, so maybe cut out a paper one the proposed shape and see what you've got and find the best place to put a new screw hole.

Quote Originally Posted by bakersdozen View Post
    that sounds a fitting name for this project i did a bit if reshaping and the corner of the trem pretty much meets the firearm cut now. But it all sits nice and flush so all good under the hood.
    abtholutely magnifithent!! I thalute you thir!

9. Liked by: Bakersdozen

I did a bit if reshaping and the corner of the trem pretty much meets the firearm cut now.
    That sounds dangerous!
    Do you need a permit to play it?
    Making the world a better place; one guitar at a time...

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast